This Disappears When Logged In

Fatal Attraction

Discussion in 'General Venomous' started by hennisntacanibal, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

I saw a show on Animal Planet called "Fatal Attraction" that had a story about someone who died from a venomous snake bite. She was keeping around ten hots, including a gaboon viper, rhino viper, monocled cobra, and a rattlesnake of some sort. The show spent the whole time talking about how dangerous these animals are, and on the same episode, told a story where monitors ate their owner. While the show had valid points, it also made the animals out to be evil and the people who own them to be weirdo freaks. It even tried to hint that beardies are dangerous!
    Needless to say, I'm a little miffed with Animal Planet. I wish they wouldn't equate reptile owners with the people who keep tigers as lapdogs and such. Of course there are risks with owning venomous reptiles and they shouldn't be kept by anyone who isn't extremely experienced, but maybe we should stop vilifying the animals in whose nature it is to be wary of something bigger than they are and start holding responsible the people who don't know how to care for them.

2. Sunobius

Sunobius Well-Known Member

In my opinion, Animal Planet has really gone off the deep end with this series. I think they are just trying to bolster their ratings after the success of shows like "I'm Alive" and "I Shouldn't Be Alive", where people are still getting maimed by animals. People love violence and gruesome stories, if it gets ratings, then mission accomplished.

Where I get frustrated though, is how they are depicting the animals and the people involved. Animals are instinctual creatures, no matter what species they are. That being said, keeping ANY animal to any degree of success falls solely on the owner's or handler's understanding of the animal's nature, and their ability to act accordingly.

At my last job, I got to spend time with the Kratt Brothers and hang out with them, their animals, and the other handlers. One of their animals, an Albino Burmese named Sunshine, was one of the most docile and relaxed snakes I had ever met. She was totally calm, and never even bothered to look at anything with interest or follow it like a prey item, but the handlers still followed the basic rule that if you have to interact with her, you don't do it alone. An animal that size can and will kill a human if something triggers that reaction in it.

The same can be said for all animals and handler really. There are plenty of people who keep bears, tigers, lions, etc. but because they understand the risk involved, and the needs and nature of these animals, they are able to minimize risk drastically. Accidents do still happen, yes, but again, the risk is understood in most cases.

I'm rambling now, and I apologize, but it just irks me when ignorance ruins it for the rest of us.

3. hennisntacanibal

Exactly. How many people, because of that show, are going to be afraid of reptiles? AP seems to make all animals outside of dogs and cats and bunnies out to be dangerous and terrifying. I bet there are more people hospitalized because of dog attacks than venomous snake bites every year. And if you had a leopard gecko and a slavering, growling bulldog, how many would pet the bulldog but refuse to even look at the gecko?
    Now I'M rambling!

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That I can guarantee!

5. hennisntacanibal

Not that I have anything against dogs, but I'd rather get bitten by my beardy than by a Doberman.

6. Jarno

Jarno Well-Known Member

Well,
    iv'e got bitten by a lot of animals (no venomous snakes ;) ) and i can agree with Hennisntacanibal..

I dont watch animal planet any more due to these program's..
    it's sad but guys like Austin Stevens and "the snake buster" are sansational persons who only do it for the money.
    Steve irwin was a heart driven animal LOVER.
    Yes there was sensation ofcourse without it a program won't be so popular BUT He did it with love..
    He didnt played with the animals like austin does he show's the animal with respect and love you realy can see that.

But the most important reason i stoped watching A.P. is becouse of the documantary besides program's like these..
    where are they?? didnt even seen one in the last year!! (stopped watching 2 months ago)
    documantary's with Sir David attenborough and such are totaly gone! that was my main reason to watch the channel in the evening!
    instead we got a fieuw episodes of a snake noobs some wrangler guy's and a whole lot of animal cops..
    but to learn a fieuw "new" things about animals you don't have to watch this channel.. now its sensation and entertaining the big mass of people..

to bad but they wont see me visiting them in a long time
    (needed to say this once and for all )
    gr

7. YellowOctopus

YellowOctopus Elite Member

My biggest problems with that show?

They claimed that reptile owners begin to "take on the personality" of the species of reptile (WTF??) that they keep.

How can you take on the personality of a species? I mean, I get it to some extent, and I get that being a reptile hobbyist tends to set people apart and that sometimes that ends up as a person's "thing" (something that a person does that other people remember them for), but seriously? Take on the personality??

Also, in that episode they were still claiming that Komodo dragons use bacteria to induce septicemia while hunting. Apparently the dozens of scientific papers proving otherwise haven't gotten to them yet, though there are other shows (much better shows, "Wild Recon" and "Life") on that channel that explicitly state otherwise. That bugged me.

They also neglected to mention the part where the monitor lizard guy was OBVIOUSLY neglecting his animals, as they were free-roaming in his apartment, there were seven of them, they frequently fought with each other and he provided nothing for them to dig in.

Oh, and they blamed the interwebz and herp shows for the venomous snake woman. Apparently it's their job to spot ever obsessive-compulsive hoarder that comes through without fail.

8. Jarno

Jarno Well-Known Member

Ok i was almost forgotten this is an American forum..

looks like you have better program's whenever i turn the channel on now its animal cops and such like austin..
    want your channel :p

gr

9. NowAndNever91

NowAndNever91 Elite Member

The show was exciting and I still watch Animal Planet and all that. Really it just showed how ignorant people can really be, the man who owned the Monitors (I think they said Nile Monitors or something like that?) was obviously losing control of the animals. You would think since he had did so much research on them he would have went to the doctor for his bites because of the risk of infection, who knows what he was thinking?

The woman was said to obsess over everything she did, she was just being ignorant I think! I really don't know what else to say about that! lol Only to leave venomness snakes to the professionals!

I didn't like how the program said that often people with these interests become obsessive and have a hoarding problem or personality problem... more ignorance...

Oh! Did anyone see the show "The Man Who Injects Snake Venom"? It pretty interesting lol

10. hennisntacanibal

Haha they have those shows enough here in the US too.
    This show is just another reason tv is going down the tubes.

11. YellowOctopus

YellowOctopus Elite Member

On their website they should have a couple free episodes of some of the other programming. I'd suggest "Wild Recon" and "Life," if that's on the site (it premiered last night). "Life" is Animal Planet's version of "Planet Earth" and it's really awesome, if not always 100% accurate.

But yeah, we get all the animal cops stuff too (I like the shows, but in moderation) and all the other garbage they show, like "Whale Wars."

12. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I agree that more people die from dogs attacks annually than from venomous snake bites. Actually, dogs, bee/wasp stings, horses, and deer are all responsible for more human deaths per species per year than venomous snakes. I do reptile educational programs for the local community college and will soon be doing lectures for the county animal control. I watch almost all of these shows because I know everyone I talk to will have watched them also. So, I watch them and am able to correct the errors that are commonly thrown around and offer FACTUAL information to all the people. I usually tell them that just because it is on TV or the INTERNET, that does not mean it is true. It is surprising how mis-informed people are and it is all because of the sensationalism on TV.

As far as the claim that reptile owners take on the personalities of their animals, I think they were talking about how the monitor keeper had turned his heat up to 80 so his monitors would be more comfortable. I don't think they meant that he would eat the same food they ate - they were showing raw chicken being consumed by the monitors but he was cooking his meals.

As far as hoarders go, I did a thread a week or so ago about how a producer from Animal Pkanet contacted ME because I had so many snakes. She asked if I was interested in being on a TV show. I later found out the show was about animal hoarders and after she and I spoke a few times she realized I use my animals for educational purposes so I was not a good candidate for the program.

13. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I watched that show. Was kinda cool although I personally would not inject venom just to "see" if I would be healthier (although it turns out that he indeed may be less susceptible to a good number of ailments) I can kind of understand the one guy doing it to develop an immunity since he was working with venomous for a living.

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Look up the stats sometime - dogs maim and kill a lot more people, though you also have to remember, there are far more dogs in homes across the US than there are reptiles, least of all venomous ones.

People who get bitten by venomous wild snakes, usually (not always) had it coming, by harassing the animal in some manner. Something like 90% of people admitted to hospitals for snake envenomation in Florida alone had a hand or foot on the snake at the time of the bite. we have 6 species of snake with medically significant venom, by the way.

15. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

honestly if it prevents people from getting monitors or lions or tigers and bears i am all for it. Yes they may go about it in the wrong way but the majority of reptile owners don't treat them like they should, not the right food, not the right caging, and so forth. If people see it and think hmm, i could get hurt from that and if i got one i would put it in a cage then good.

16. Jarno

Jarno Well-Known Member

I have loaded "Life" but i delete'd it richt away!
    there were so much sounds added.. like a fish who opens its mouth and you here *Burp*..

i listen very closely to the tank's on my last school but the only thing i here was bzzz from the filter system.. ;)

The fact these program's are bad for our pet's is becouse people will get afraid of them.
    in the Netherlands some politicien(?) already claim to make it illegal..
    these program's can be fatal for venomous keepers who do take care of their pet's and people who do that to other dangerous animals to ofcourse..

U can show the animals that are dangerous but tell the people WHY they are dangerous and were they use it for and why they don't do a thing when u dont touch it and walk around it! thats very important.

gr.

17. leokid

leokid Member

I watched that fatal attractions episode. The guy live in a small appartment with seven nile monitors, which he let free roam. Pure stupidity. Animal planet sometimes gives reptiles a bad name, but i have to say, their new show Life has a great reptile and amphibian episode.

18. hennisntacanibal

I saw Jeff Corwin when he came through our town on a reptile tour. He had some of the hugest herps I've ever seen, including a six foot alligator, a two hundred pound snapping turtle, an eighteen foot Burmese python, etc. It was a great show, and we got to meet him afterward. I introduced him to my bearded dragon. Jeff, being a herpetologist, knows a lot more about reptiles than most of the people on AP. He is, however, against owning exotic pets in the home, for reasons I forget. Anyway, that is a man who knows how to deal with venomous snakes. And he won't overplay the danger involved just to make a show.
    I wish there were more education programs out there that teach about reptiles and amphibians, so less people would be unreasonably afraid of them. Maybe some day I will be able to build my collection enough to start my own!

19. wiccaninblack

wiccaninblack Member

Doberman. Thanks. Dobes are made out to be as nasty as snakes and reptiles - but they're powder puffs in truth.

20. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Still hold a more powerful punch than a bearded dragon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.