This Disappears When Logged In

Fat Tailed Gecko- HELP

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by MIke_Haare, Apr 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MIke_Haare

MIke_Haare Elite Member

My fat tailed gecko stopped eating, we giveing him crix, meal worms, and meat flavored baby food, please help :(

2. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

ok what is your set-up like Mike. IE cage size, substrate, and all that jazz.

3. MIke_Haare

MIke_Haare Elite Member

it's a 10 gallon tank with mulch as a substrate and a hide spot with a light on top(i keep telling my brother to take it off it's a heat lamp)

4. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

Well seeing how its and AFT and very much like a leo in the care it needs you first should get rid of that mulch. it is a desert species. Do you have a thermometer in there? What wattage is the heat lamp? and what kind is it?

http://www.anapsid.org/fattailgecko.html

5. MIke_Haare

MIke_Haare Elite Member

it's a 75 or 90 wat, i don't have a thermometer, and it's a cermic heat lamp i think. I also read a few care sheets and it says to use some kind of mulch

6. MIke_Haare

MIke_Haare Elite Member

OK i got rid of the lamp and the mulch (i put sand in there now)

7. lola

lola Elite Member

mike,

how long have you had the gecko? like, how long ago did it last eat? was there any changes around the gecko that would freak him out or anything...like is there a new cagemate or is there other pets within view of it? has its cage been moved, like to a higher traffic area? is the little fella drinking?

lola

8. MIke_Haare

MIke_Haare Elite Member

He'll drink, he hasn't been moved, nor has anything be changed to his tank, he ate a meal worm a bit ago, i think i've had him for 6 months or so but when we got him he was old

9. lola

lola Elite Member

i had a leo who was anorexic because she was intimided by another leo in another tank. is there something around to scare him?

also, is he pooping?

if he ate a mealworm a bit ago, then i wouldn't worry too much about him fasting a little. if you are concerned, and you have the ability, than maybe you could try some different foods for him. silkworms, for instance, are a great food source. or you could try a few wax worms, or some f/t pinky mice but this shouldn't be used as a staple, they are not nutritious enough. but something different might perk his interest in eating again.

if all else fails, an eyedropper or pipette is good for dripping moist food on your gecks nose...but if you get to that point, maybe there is something else wrong, like a parasite. you could try some parazap (i love the stuff,) it increases appetites, as well as kills off some (not all) types of yuckies...and/or take him to the vet.

hope i helped,

lola

10. MIke_Haare

MIke_Haare Elite Member

11. MIke_Haare

MIke_Haare Elite Member

just an update: HE'S EATING!!!!! Not much but he still is. My brother said he ate a few crix. Thanks for all your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.