This Disappears When Logged In

Fat Tailed Eating.

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by Scottt2062, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottt2062

Scottt2062 New Member

I have had a Fat Tailed Gecko for about 2 years now and throughout those years I have tried many times to have him eat something other than crickets, like mealworms or wax-worms, and he just will not eat them. Is there any reason for this? I know they are supposed to have varied diets, but is it alright for him to eat solely live crickets if he refuses to eat anything else?

2. Lena

Lena Elite Member

From what I've heard they are extremely picky eaters. My AFT (Who is a rescue) will eat just about anything, probably because she wasn't fed enough by her previous owners.. But I've found her favorite thing to eat is a big juicy superworm.

Anyway, back to your question.. It may be that mealworms and wax worms are too small and not active enough to entice your AFT.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

As long as you are gut-loading your crickets with different vegetables before you feed them to your gecko, it's fine.

4. sallyconyers

sallyconyers New Member

I've found my 2 to be fairly fussy and they do prefer crix but both of mine will now take mealies, try allowing the meal worm to crawl around rather than in a bowl, if it walks past your aft then their strike reflex goes off. If not then crix are a fine diet providing they are gut loaded.

5. theHIguy

theHIguy Active Member

Have you tried pinkies? I feed mine pinkies once a month they both love them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.