This Disappears When Logged In

Fat Tail Lifespan?

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by uniweb2, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uniweb2

uniweb2 Active Member

How long do fat tails normally live? I have seen some caresheets that range from 3-15 or 20 yrs! also, should I upgrade my fat tail to a 20 gal once he gets bigger, or will he be fine all his life in a 10 gal?

Thanks!:)

2. Orca

Orca Elite Member

A 20 gallon would be better (make sure its a 20 gallon long). They can live their lives in 10 gallon, but that isn't really a lot of space once they are full grown.
    Not positive on their lifespan, but I was pretty sure it was around the 20 year mark like leopard geckos.

3. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Yes, their lifespan is about the same as Leos 10-20 years depending on care, health, the individual lizard, etc. If you want your to live that long, yes get a 20 long rather than the 10 gallon. Your gecko will be much happier. :)

4. jclee

jclee Active Member

To my knowledge, the lifespan estimates on herps are always pretty broad (I.e. 5-20) because, to come up with those numbers requires averaging. Some people may buy them on whim, never read up on how to maintain them, keep them poorly, and have them die relatively quickly. I always assume that, if I'm doing everything I'm supposed to to maintain the animal, my animal's lifespan is actually the higher estimated number.

Re space: Most guides suggest 10G minimum per leopard/ African fat-tailed gecko, but bigger is always better. (I.e., I can live in a studio apartment that's about the size of a parking space, but I won't be very happy in it over a long period of time.) Check out this site's caresheets on leopard geckos when you have a chance. There are some great landscaping suggestions for maximizing usage of the space that you have, and stimulating their climbing behavior.

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

You mean care sheet on AFTs since the care is different :p

6. jclee

jclee Active Member

Oops. Thanks for the correction.

7. uniweb2

uniweb2 Active Member

Thanks so much guys! I was in a thrift store yesterday and found a much bigger tank for only 4$! Mercury will be much happier now!

8. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

That is good news. Don't forget to post some pictures when everything are setup.;)

9. uniweb2

uniweb2 Active Member

I'm setting up the new tank this weekend, so i'll definitely keep you guys updated with pics... umm, exactly how do I do that?

10. DrGreenthombs

DrGreenthombs Member

on average 18 years in captivity

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.