This Disappears When Logged In

Fake Rock Background - Pics

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Shawn, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It looks great! Though I would suggest letting it totally cure out prior to putting it in the enclosure. It will cure out faster in the open air. Then once everything is together fire your heaters up and run them on high for a while to further cure it out before putting anything alive in it.

2. Shawn

Shawn Elite Member

Yep I think I remember seeing one of the heater getting into the pics... I have 4 portable heaters in that room running on full blast today. I plan on sealing it tonight and leaving it to cure, and for the fumes to escape, I am hoping for it to be ready to slide in Saturday afternoon :)

3. angrykitten

angrykitten Elite Member

That's a very creative set up. I really like it! I was wondering about the paint. Once you paint the background, do you need to use a sealant? I am wondering if at a craft store could help you more than in a hardware store. If you say that you are painting something for a child? Perhaps people would be more concerned about which type of paint they sell you. I don't know...just an idea.

4. Merlin

Actually the craft store is going to be less helpful and have less of a usable selection.
    Workers in hardware stores have to have at least a basic working knowledge of their department.
    Craft stores hire anybody that comes along. All they have to know is where on the shelf something is.

5. Shawn

Shawn Elite Member

I was able to find a water based non toxic can of sealer at Home Depot (can't think of the brand right now without seeing the can) going to mix with a little more water and spray on our of a water bottle.

Not sure if you can get away with not using a sealer if you are using non toxic paint? I wasn't really able to find any color/texture paints that I liked that were non toxic so I'll be sealing the paint for sure!

not to mention that even after 4 coats of grout, and 4 coats of paint and the actual surface may feel hard to the touch, but is still pretty pliable if you squeeze with force. And the sealer should help stiffen things up a little.

6. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Yes I agree, rather be safe than sorry.:p

7. Shawn

Shawn Elite Member

FINALLY DONE!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is Iggy being introduced into his new home (Only temporarily, I am picking up the glass for the front this afternoon
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In no time at all, Iggy was running around like he owned the place! Great feeling to know all the work was apprecieated!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Decided where the plant will be....
    [​IMG]

And best of all, my temps are DEAD ON!!! Problem is the glass isn't on the front yet, and I think the rise in ambient temps once the bulbs are going in a sealed tank, will boost the basking temps.
    [​IMG]
    This temp is with my 100w MVB and my 100w spot lamp both pointing at the same end of the tank, again without the glass on the front) If temps rise too much with the glass on, I will try using a 50w flood with my MVB, and if still no help I will just go with the one MVB.

I have to admit this was one of the most rewarding projects I have ever done, alloted myself enough time to do it slow, took days and weeks away from it as to not get frustrated and rush it. In the end I sat there last night starring at it thinking to myslef 'I can't beliece I Made this!'

8. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

It looks great! Job well done.

9. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

Wow that looks GREAT! Want to make one for my crested gecko? :D

10. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

One spoiled beardy! GOOD FOR YOU!!!:)

11. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

That looks great. :)

12. Shawn

Shawn Elite Member

Re: Fake Rock Background Completed - Pics

And the final pics....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Iggy has been settling in nicely over the last 2 weeks now, and seems to be very happy with her new home! :)

13. Merlin

VERY good job!
    Looks like bearded dragon heaven!

14. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

Looks great! :)

15. RES/AnoleLover89

RES/AnoleLover89 Elite Member

awesome, I'm definitely doing that when I get my beardie

16. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

Wow... everything looks GREAT! Iggy sure looks happy too! Great job!

17. kiraturmc

kiraturmc Elite Member

AMAZING WORK!! If I ever get brave and go for a beardie, I'm going to have to do something like this. It looks like SO much fun!!

So am I right that you made this out of regular old styrofoam? I didn't know that was an option! Do you mind sharing how you carved it so nicely?

Thanks for sharing...

-kir

18. Shawn

Shawn Elite Member

Yep just regular styrofoam coated with groute, spray paint, then sealed with non toxic sealer.

The carving was just going crazy with a knife, I glued random chunks of styrofoam all over the place to carve into rock shapes and give it some dimension.

The rest I just started cutting into the foamboard at differnt angles and depths, then twisted the knife to break the pieces out in chunks for what I thought was a "realistic look"

19. kiraturmc

kiraturmc Elite Member

That's awesome Shawn - thanks! I may have to see if I can do something like this for our leo!

-kir

20. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

You could set up business manufacturing custom cage backgrounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.