This Disappears When Logged In

Fake Plants?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Ian Vaananen, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Ian Vaananen

Ian Vaananen New Member

I just recently ordered a artificial plant from Amazon recently for my bearded dragon's cage. Upon placing it in there he immediately attempted to eat it, so I thought I could place it in my leopard gecko's tank, since leopard gecko's have no interest in eating plants. Right when I placed in it there however, she right away took a chomp on one of the branches. I gently pulled it out of her mouth, and it appeared she didn't bite off any pieces of it. With that being said, I wanted to know if she could actually manage to bite down hard enough to bite off a piece. And also, in time, would she become used to the presence of a plant in there, or is there anyway to have her ignore it? I'm in the process of making her tank more naturalistic, and though I'd set it to the side if it posed a threat, it'd be rather disappointing. And yes I know I could try live plants, but in an effort to preserve low maintenance I wanted to have artificial plants. Also this is my first post here, so forgive me if I seem naive and such. Thanks!

2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

The gecko probably just bit the plant when it was moved thinking it was food. When you placed it in the tank did you put it in front of it's head? Unless it's a silk plant then I don't think the gecko would be able to bite through it and even then I'll have doubts.
    I wouldn't worry about it.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I'd agree with the above. Without seeing the plant in question, I seriously doubt there will be an issue with the gecko. It was probably just hungry when that happened. Should get used to it in no time, might even be good enrichment for it to hunt some crickets in and around the plant. I know mine have no issues with the fake plants in my cage.

4. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Sounds like the gecko was defending it's territory from the strange plastic alien creature you put in it's cage. :D

Atroxus, Dbld420 and Darkbird like this.