This Disappears When Logged In

Eye Issues?

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Oliver Walsh, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Oliver Walsh

Oliver Walsh Member

IMG_1740.JPG Hi everyone, i'm new to water dragons and reptiles in general. About a week ago, I got my baby dragon. He's about one year old and seems to be in good health. My only concern is that one of his eyes is a little bit.. weird. I don't know how to explain it exactly, but it is gray in color, swollen, and usually shut. if he does open it, it seems very dark. His other eye seems healthy.
    His environment is as optimal as i can get it: He has a large, glass tank with a 12 hour UVB light and a basking area under a ceramic heat emitter. His water bowl is well maintained and changed daily. His cage has coconut fiber substrate and is misted frequently. The cage humidity falls quickly but i like to keep it at about 70-80%, however it often falls to about 40-50%. It's hard to keep it as high as I want it but I plan on getting him a humidifier.
    Every morning i give him mealworms and occasionally waxworms, and he eats very well and without hesitation. In terms of his behavior, he is decently active especially at feeding time.
    I only see him in the mornings and evenings as i'm usually gone during the day. He eats in the morning and is pretty active but is usually asleep in his hiding spot or basking in the evenings. I haven't handled him very much but he is not afraid of my hand. I am slightly concerned about how he will rub himself against the glass, almost as if trying to escape. This isn't that often but i know it might be worthy of mentioning. Anyway, I want to know if i should take him to the vet for his eye and if he is generally good health and if i'm raising him right. Thank you if you can answer!
    IMG_1644.JPG IMG_1651.JPG IMG_1654.JPG IMG_1655.PNG IMG_1656.PNG

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

It doesn't look terrible, but your right it does look alittle strange, almost like there is something stuck in the eye... vet visit is up to you, might be something that goes away on it's own but maybe not.
    What uvb do you use? Needs to be tube not compact. What size is his glass tank? The ceramic heat emitters in the case of water dragons are pretty bad for basking, I suggest using normal heat bulb, like a daylight or infrared spot light.
    As far as humidity goes it's not that hard to get to 80%, but there is a trick... cover your screen top ;) . Mealworms aren't very nutritious by themselves, if you keep him on strictly meal worms he is going to have issues... water dragons need fruits and veggies and leafy greens as well as a varied diet of insects. Gut loaded crickets make a better staple than mealworms, but should still be supplemented with Dubia roaches, mealworms, superworms, red wigglers, nightcrawlers, silkworms, hornworms, lobster roaches, Phoenix worms, etc etc. Really the more variety you can get into your dragon the better. You get the idea. And dust with calcium/d3.

3. Oliver Walsh

Oliver Walsh Member

Thanks for Answering! This is great advice! I'll wait on the eye for now to see if it heals up but if it doesn't seem to get better for a few days i'll find a vet for him. I might try to soak him in the bath soon as well to help rinse it. I also got a moisturizing spray that is safe for lizards that assists with shedding. The UVB light is a tube zilla slimline tropical fixture roughly 18 inches in length that sits about 8 or 9 inches above him. His cage is glass with a screen top and is about 30 inch x 12 inch x 12 inch, or about 20 L. I'll cover a part of the screen to help with humidity, too. In terms of the CHE i agree that it would be better to get him a daylight basking bulb that provides light as well as heat. I think his diet could use some more variety as you said and i plan on getting him gut loaded crickets as well as a greater amount of different worms etc. His main diet will be crickets and i will also add some dusted vegetables and greens as well. Again thanks for the advice! i think these changes will really benefit him and he will be a happy, healthy lizard!

4. Oliver Walsh

Oliver Walsh Member

Actually I messed up, the cage is 30 x 18 x 18 and the UVB sits about 12 inches above him but he can get closer to it. Oops!

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, in this case the conditions are not optimum, glass fishtanks with screen tops are not at all suitable because you cannot stabilise either the temps or humidity, this tank is also far too small.
    The CHE is o.k for raising the ambient (air) temps but not as a basking bulb because it directs the heat all around rather than downwards. Much more efficient are relatively low wattage halogen bulbs @ either par 30 or par 38 (the "par" only refers to the bulb face diameter) they must be flood beam and fitted with ceramic bulb holders. Here`s an example, very cheap to buy and they can be dimmed which makes adjusting the basking surface temp much easier, or obviously you can raise/lower the bulb/s or basking object.. What type and brand is the UVB bulb?
    11123186274_6832645d46[1].jpg

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If the UVB bulb/tube is efficient there is no need to use supplementary D3.
    I recommend taking the lizard to a vet to check the eye.

7. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Yeah the tank is too small... the thing about water dragons is they're always advertised in this small aquarium at the pet store, and the store staff doesn't know anything about these guys... I don't blame you for getting a 40b, but they need a much larger space, like atleast 5'x2'x4' when full grown. You should see the nose rubbing stop once the enclosure is large enough. If the nose rubbing continues it will eventually deform his face.
    And no problem, happy to help! :)

8. Leekendra22

Leekendra22 New Member

My water dragon is having the same issues with his right eye. He will open it for a few secs then close it. I tryed misting him , letting him soak in the tub. I have just been monitoring him for 2 days. What should i do next? I even tryed feeding him by hand and he didnt take it.

9. Oliver Walsh

Oliver Walsh Member

Thanks for answering! yeah, his cage right now is just temporary for when he's little, i'll get a much larger one as soon as possible as well as create a better system for managing temperatures and humidity. And about the bulb I think i'll get the halogen bulb you recommend for his basking light but keep the CHE just to raise the ambient temp. The UVB is a Zilla slimline tropical fixture I got from the Pet store. I know the local Pet Store isn't always the best option for reptile care but the light seemed alright, I bought it with a few bulbs that i'll change out every few months so they keep emitting UVB.

10. Oliver Walsh

Oliver Walsh Member

Alright, i'll definitely take that into consideration about the cage. His current one is just for when he's a baby but i plan on getting him a much larger enclosure soon like you said. i'll take him to a vet for his eye really soon, it hasn't seemed to have gotten much better. Thanks for the help!

11. Oliver Walsh

Oliver Walsh Member

Alright, no more d3 supplement and a visit to the vet. got it. Thanks for the help!

12. Oliver Walsh

Oliver Walsh Member

hmm. i'm definitely no expert and theres more experienced people who will give you more detailed advice but if nothing else is working you might just have to take him to the vet, they'll be able to tell you what's best for him. that's what I'm gonna do with mine for now, too. Good luck!