This Disappears When Logged In

Eye Issue

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Leekendra22, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Leekendra22

Leekendra22 New Member

My water dragon refuses to keep his right eye open. It seems normal , he will open his eye for maybe a couple of secs and then close it. I tryed feeding him by hand and he refused. Im getting a little worried about him. What should I do any suggestion??

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Please include enclosure details and pics. As well as heat/humidity specs.

3. Leekendra22

Leekendra22 New Member

The heat is at 90 and the humidity stays around 75 and 80. well there is two water dragons in the tank. They get along pretty well. They have plants, hiding spaces, water bowls that are changed every week. They eat mostly mealworms. Here i have pics of the tank and the water dragons eye open and closed.

Attached Files:

4. AmityReptiles

Water dragons behave this way when they are extremely stressed. We've had several of these reports in just the last couple of weeks, you can review the most recent threads on water dragon problems if you like.
    1st of all, we are all very good natured, but will give you pointed advice for the health of your animals, so don't take anything personally. :)
    You never ever want to keep water dragons together, one will inevitably dominate the other. I know you say they get along, but probably what you are seeing (climbing on each other etc.) Is actually a form of dominance. They MUST be separated if you don't want one or the other to die of stress.
    2nd, it looks like you have 2 heat lamps? One on each side of the cage? If so, there is no temperature gradient, and they are likely being overheated. You must have one heat lamp and a good basking spot under it (large rocks work well to reflect and hold heat, you can use a small paver stone from a garden store or something like that, branches dont work well.)
    3rd It looks like you use analog dial thermometers/hygrometers which are totally inaccurate. You need to switch to digital thermometers and hygrometers, and then re check both. It looks like you have a screen top, which must be covered as completely as possible for holding proper humidity levels and temperatures.
    4rth mealworms don't make a great staple, and diet is very important, you want to have as much variety in feeder insects as possible. Crickets make a better staple, because you can gutload them to make them nutritious. But you also want to supplement that with Dubia roaches, Phoenix worms, red wigglers, lobster roaches, earthworms, etc etc. And for a water dragon they are omnivorous. SO THEY MUST HAVE FRUITS AND VEGGIES. You also MUST HAVE a tube uvb lamp so they can process calcium, otherwise they will eventually die in a very painful way from their bones turning to mush. This is called MBD metabolic bone disease. Please also dust food items atleast twice a week with calcium.
    Lastly, that enclosure is far to small even for 1 water dragon. When full grown they require a space of 5'x2'x4', but even at this stage the enclosure you have is far too small. I assume they rub their noses quite abit on the sides of the aquarium.
    All these things need to be fixed before your dragons health gets worse.

5. Leekendra22

Leekendra22 New Member

What kind of fruits should I give them?.. and I think i will try the crickets and see how they do with those. And what should i cover the tank with?

6. AmityReptiles

For fruits you can try almost anything as far as I know, but the main focus should be on leafy greens such as spinach and kale and cabbage. You can cover the top with anything water resistant. Aluminum foil would work temporarily. But if you can build your own top that is preferred. The idea is to restrict airflow and evaporation