This Disappears When Logged In

Extremely Bad Humidity Problem (URGENT)

Discussion in 'Pythons *General*' started by KKHerps, Feb 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KKHerps

KKHerps Elite Member

Okay, I woke up this morning to check on my snakes and my ball python’s humidity was 0%. I do not understand how. I keep him on 2 large bags of aspen shavings; he has an extra large water dish, and a lot of decorations.

I took the advice from someone at HC to buy an electric therm. /hygrometer, but when I put it in, the humidity was all whack! Before when I used those circle ones with the arrow, the humidity read 45 50 60 and 80 percent.

As for my carpet, her humidity always is at 30. I do not get it and is so frustrating. I don’t want any of my snakes to die.

I need all the help I can get!!!!

2. legalcmf

legalcmf Elite Member

I'm using those ring hydrogometer's! I'm maintaining Oscar with a humidifying fog machine too and it's reading what I was wanting it to read...let me know if you get advised otherwise (with regards to the ring hydrogometer's).

Claire x

3. legalcmf

legalcmf Elite Member

Another quick question...how's the heat through two bags of aspen?

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

0% humidity seems like a malfunction to me. Even a house in winter is usually at 20 or 30%.

As for keeping the moisture in, what does your top look like?

5. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

I agree, even 30% is low for most houses, 40-60% is about average though out the year in most. Anything outside of that normally has outside influences or very poor insulation.

If your misting well once a day I can't see your humidity going much lower than 50% given a standard cage without a full screen top. If you do happen to have a full screen top I still wouldn't think it would go below 40% unless under extreme heat from a lamp.

6. KKHerps

KKHerps Elite Member

Yeah I have a screen top, and the heat is pretty good legalcmf. I am putting a humidifier in my room.

Do you think I should go back to those circle clock like meters?

7. schlegelbagel

No, I think you got a bad digital one, and should try exchanging it.

If your top is all screen, I would see about covering up half with wood or plastic. This will keep the humidity in.

8. legalcmf

legalcmf Elite Member

You've probably got a defective one, take it back and exchange it :) they're more accurate than the round one's, as far as I know hon.

I have an open screen on top for my Ball Python Oscar...I've got a small cage humidifier for him though :)

xx

9. KKHerps

KKHerps Elite Member

Thanks all! I'll get some plexiglass, will it work?

10. legalcmf

legalcmf Elite Member

I'm sure it will :)

11. schlegelbagel

Yep, plexi is fine.

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. You have a defective unit. I have never even seen a 0% humidity reading. That would be drier than Death Valley!

13. theHIguy

theHIguy Active Member

try covering the top of the cage with a towel at night thats what i do for my GTB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.