This Disappears When Logged In

Expo Etiquette And/or Stories?

Discussion in 'Shows and Expos' started by Katsura, May 5, 2013.

1. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Hello everyone!!

My first expo EVER is going to be in a week, on Saturday May 11th. I'm going to the Rocky Mountain Reptile Expo up in Denver and I can hardly contain my excitement!

So I figured in the meantime to hold me over, I would ask you all for your expo stories and expo etiquette. As I've never been to a con or an expo before I don't know what to expect! I mean, I've watched videos, but that's different. Also, by etiquette, I mean the general "do's and don'ts" for these types of events. And by stories, I mean tell me how you like expos, and how your first one was, and what you got to do, and anything and everything else you want to say about it!!

I'm already expecting to want to take half the show home with me, haha!

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The rules are pretty simple really. Don't pick anything up without asking and be courteous of others. Oh yeah, have fun viewing everything and take pics!

3. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I would also add to beware of who you buy from. Some animals are awesome, but you'll see some that just don't look right and the seller will tell you anything you want to here. Cheap isn't always better so trust your gut feeling. Anything in perticular you're looking for? They are fun and get to seetons of awesome animals and meet some cool people. I usually walk around once around the whole thing before i start looking for what I may want :) take a couple of hours atleast ;)

4. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

NEVER EVER.... EVER.... bring more money then you want to spend. Set up your enclosures before-hand, and (try) not to buy anything you do not have an enclosure for. This is what I repeat to myself over and over again during expo week.

Also- Joey brings up an excellent point about breeders. Many expos have some very reputable breeders, and also some guys that just buy whatever bulk imports they can get their hands on. Most expos you can get a list of the vendors online and look them up before hand. I strongly recommend this, especially if you plan on buying an investment animal. HAVE FUN!

5. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I'm not actually going for any specific reason other than it sounds like a ton of fun. I might pick up a corn snake or so but I haven't really planned for anything. Even if I do get something, I've got a couple extra tanks and enough supplies for one set up already :)

Thanks for warning me about the breeders, too. It never really occurred to me to watch out for that.

So, picture taking is usually allowed at every expo right? I looked online for the RMRE rules and they didn't mention anything about photography.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

This is just me, and I'm not sure if anyone else does the same, but I do not handle any animal I am not intent on buying. Its less stress for the animals, and minimizes that chances of picking up any bugs or anything else to bring home by mistake. Not to mention passing stuff from table to table. And I have never had anyone turn me down for a picture, but it would probably be polite to ask first in most cases. I won't say to have fun, as it's probably not possible to go and not have fun.

7. PetMother

PetMother Elite Member

I went to my first one last week and it was FUN! I even brought my mom and sister with (both are not too fond of herps), but they had fun too! They looked around at the different vendors and were amazed at all the different species out there. I, on the other hand, was on a mission to find a Leopard Gecko. :)

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Expos are a blast, even if you are not looking to buy anything. ( but THAT can change in an instant! LOL!)
    You get to visit and hang out with other people who are just as herp crazy as we are. ;)
    Picture taking is allowed. I have never seen anyone refused. But be sure to ask permission. Simple common courtesy is the rule.
    Keep in mind that this is a business for all involved so don't expect a vendor to just drop everything he or she is doing just to chat with you. But if they are not busy, most love to talk herps and you can pick up a lot of good tips.
    Don't expect the vendors to open every container and let you handle every animal if you have no intention of making a purchase. They are there to make sales, not to entertain you.
    Ask to handle whatever you are curious about, don't just pick up the container and open it. You would be amazed at the number of newbies who do just that only to have the animal launch itself out of the container and make a run for it thru the room.
    This will NOT endear you to the vendors!
    And be expected to have the vendor ask you to use hand sanitizer before handling any of their animals. Its just good practice.
    In fact I would be very hesitant to purchase from anyone who doesn't! Who knows what the animals on the previous table might have.
    And using it again afterwards is a good idea.
    But if you are treated rudely turn and walk away.

Expect to get pooped on! These animals are under a bit of stress and may not be too happy with being jostled around.

9. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Sorry for the late reply guys, sometimes I lose track of my posts heh...

Anyway, thanks for the responses and advice. I'm glad to hear pretty much everyone has had a good experience at reptile expos.

As I'm super excited, we're going to get up there around the time it opens (10) so we have plenty of time to check things out and everything :D

To be honest, I hadn't really planned on holding much of anything anyway... Nathan is good at telling me no, but as soon as he holds a snake, no matter what kind it is, he wants to take it home ahaha. And if course, I just want to take everything home so.. Haha.

I personally would never dream of picking random animals up without permission. I ask before I pet someone's dog, lol.

Thanks again though guys, I just want to make sure I have a good time and don't make vendors mad :)

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

One thing I have discovered is I only handle (with permission of course) things I know I want to buy and I never buy if the vendor hesitates to answer or refuses to answer questions. Also I ask a couple questions twice to make sure the answers are the same each time. Last thing is look at how they handle the animals. If they are just snatch and hand it over with no care towards the animal it probably isnt treated well and you should find another vendor.

oh also if they come in a cup or plastic container make sure the vendor has poked air holes in the container and that the animal is alive. Also write down the name of the vendor you purchased from.
    I bought dart frogs once and one didnt have airholes- I didnt notice till I got home-so he was probably dead when I bought him. And the others didnt make it a week. I didnt get the name of the vendor nor was it on the receipt so I wasnt able to do anything about it.

11. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Wow, Thalatte. That's awful.

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yep. So I learned the hard way to be extra careful with purchases and if you have a smart phone google the company before you buy from them to make sure they are a reliable company and not just some puppy mill situation.

13. BobGerald

BobGerald New Member

So is there any other alternative for it? If so mention some of them.