This Disappears When Logged In

Exo Terra Tall Heating Help

Discussion in 'Heating' started by ExoJoe, Jul 8, 2015.

1. ExoJoe

ExoJoe Established Member

I have an Exo Terra 18x18x24 inch Exo Terra terrarium. I was wondering if anyone could share some experience with me about heating them. I currently have a 100 watt infrared bulb on top which is working well but I noticed it is starting to melt the foam rock back board. I don't really use the hood because it only uses 40 watt bulbs. Has anyone had this issue ? Or does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative way to heat. Can't use uth it's for a arboreal gecko.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

What species, and are you trying for basking heat or to raise ambients in the cage? A radiant heat panel may be a good idea here, but we'll need to know what exactly you'd trying to accomplish.

3. ExoJoe

ExoJoe Established Member

It's a white lined gecko. I am pretty much just looking for alternative heating methods for the enclosure. I want the heat to be warmer at the top and not as warm on the bottom. But the way the screen lid is set up it's hard to accomplish this city a high heat bulb without causing any damage to the foam back board or warping the middle cross section of plastic that runs across the top.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

I actually have a few of those cages, so I know exactly what your talking about. I am using radiant heat panels in mine, and they work quite well. I can't remember member the wattage or brand right now, but a small one fits well on the inside of one side of the lid, leaving room on the other side for a short light fixture of some sort. They do require a thermostat though.