This Disappears When Logged In

Evil Baby Sav

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by kaianuanu, Oct 2, 2009.

1. kaianuanu

kaianuanu Elite Member

Ok, so I'll start from the beginning. I went to the pet shop to get a new baby sav, they had 3 of them. 2 of them were smaller and not ready for pinkies and the other was just ready for pinkies. I hate crickets so I instinctively held the biggest one first, he was perfect, chill and ready for mice, but, he had a small wound about an inch and a half up his tail. and from the wound down, the tail was dead. the next one I picked was smaller and not ready for pinkies, but he was really chill, but he had the same problem as the bigger one but the dead portion was gone and the end was healed up already. So I moved on to the last one which was the same small size as the last one,(still on crickets)but he was physically perfect. But, first the guy chased him all over the tank, then when he got him, the demon crapped on him. and as you could infer, he was constantly trying to escape and he tried to nip when restrained. Unbelievably, I ended up w/ the little demon. I have had him for about a week so now I am looking to trade him for a more docile version of him. Any socialization tips, this is his last chance, I want a new one before he starts to noticeably grow.

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

You have to be patient with all monitors - most are wild caught, and have a healthy fear of humans. With a little time and adjustment, your Sav should calm down. If you are not committed enough to see it through, maybe a Sav isn't the best choice for you. It could take months or more before your Sav is close to docile, but they can be broken of the habits of pooping on people. A word of advice on that, every time you get pooped on, refrain from putting the sav back in it's enclosure. I know it smells atrocious, but if you put it back after getting hosed, your conditioning, or training it, that if it poops on a person, the person will leave them alone. Breaking them of that habit, once they have established it with you is time consuming.

Insects are what a Sav is supposed to be eating. They eat almost exclusively invertebrates in the wild (bugs, snails, etc). Mice and other food items should be treats, given on occasion.

Any animal should also have a few weeks to acclimate before you start any kind of handling. It's just been moved to a brand new environment, that is a very stressful thing for any animal. Give it time to get accustomed to it's new digs before you start upsetting it.

3. kaianuanu

kaianuanu Elite Member

I haven't been handling him much I didn't want to over stress him, only about 15 minutes every 2 days. He is healthy in every way, I've got him to eat from tongs and from my hand, but he is apprehensive with my hand, if he doesn't smell food, then he bolts from me. He doesn't like boiled eggs nearly as much as my former save did(which was an angel and was wild caught). Its extremely upsetting for me to know that I could have such a nice little "kitten" right off the bat yet I have this flippin demon lizard in my bedroom. He is extraordinarily aggressive and I don't think he is an accurate representation of his species's temperament. Also, I don't know if he is wild caught or not.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Almost every sav out there is WC. There is little captive breeding being done with them.

If your sav is still new, then leave him totally alone except for basic maintenance for about 2 weeks. Just clean and feed. Don't handle. Then start out slowly.

5. tenchi

tenchi Well-Known Member

Honestly do not touch him at all. Just leave him alone and just do your basic maintenance on the cage. It took me two months to get my water monitor even rub up next to me, he now lets me pick him up. Well at least he did until I just moved him into his new cage and back to being a brat. These guys take time and patience it could take days, weeks, months, or worst case scenario years or never. They can change, but you have to have the patience. Please do not go and trade him in. Demons can turn into angels if you have the patience. Even though you do not like crickets your little guy does, if you do not feed him properly his lifespan will shorten or he will have serious health problems. Always ask yourself why did I get my kid

6. crocdoc

crocdoc Elite Member

It's important that you realize your monitor isn't being aggressive - it's being defensive. The difference is more than semantic, for it makes a big difference in how you deal with it.

Baby monitors are eaten by everything larger than themselves in the wild, so they are instinctively terrified of everything larger than themselves. It's hard wired. If you'd like to gain your monitor's trust so that it stops seeing you as a predator, you have to stop acting like one in its presence. At the moment, grabbing it every second day is only reinforcing the idea it has that you're a giant predator that wants to grab it and eat it. You just haven't got around to the eating bit, yet.

Your best bet is to leave it alone - no force handling. Just do your normal routines, putting food in and fresh water, but without grabbing it. After a while it will realize that it doesn't need to run and hide when you enter the room because you leave it alone. From there it will realize that it doesn't even have to run and hide when you open the enclosure, because you still don't grab it. Eventually it will become more curious and will accept food from you (I use forceps with mine, but they're a different species of monitor with sharper teeth). Then you can slowly gain its trust enough to encourage it to crawl onto your arm. Taking tiny steps, you'll end up with a monitor that not only has no fear of you, but trusts you completely.

But as Dragoness said, if you're not particularly patient and want to trade it in for a 'tamer' one, you may want to trade it for something other than a monitor.

Edit: Oops, Tenchi, you must have posted while I was typing my reply. My apologies for repeating much of what you said.

7. tenchi

tenchi Well-Known Member

that's cool crocdoc you actually put it a bit more elequently than I did

8. MDFMONITOR

MDFMONITOR Elite Member

Sounds a very healthy sav you've got there, they all tame down over time, just treat them right at the beginning & they'll learn to accept you.

9. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

I have a sav that is also like that. Very defensive. He is beginning to calm down now. I have had him since June. He still runs when I enter the room. He will only come out when I have food dangling in his face. Then he chases it around and then waits for more. He is slowly learning that when I open the cage he gets food. I am currently doing zero handling. I feed from chopsticks. lol

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

and as another note, we all know the horrid conditions lizard live in in pet shops - if your monitor is aggressive, chances are he is the healthiest lot of the 3. The others probably aren't "tame" they are probably malnourished from having to compete with your healthy boy for every resource available - food, water, basking spot. That can leave them depleted, and too weak to fight back when they otherwise would - to an untrained eye, this could look like a tame monitor.

Then you bring it home, and all of a sudden it has unlimited access to the resources it was previously denied, and it will regain it's strength, and quite likely turn into a "demon."

Our Sav at work took a year and a half to "tame" - but she was a real case of negligent abuse. Starting with a young, healthy sav like yours, I doubt it will take THAT long.

But trust me when I say the reward is WELL WORTH the effort!

11. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Also, Just because a sav is big enough for pinkies, It doesn't mean that is all they should eat!
    My Sav is about three feet long and I still feed her crickets along with other invertebrates as well as some whole fish and small rats.

I do not recommend a diet of 100% red meat!

It is more convenient to throw in a mouse every day than it is to give an animal a wide variety.

With an adult monitor, It costs more to fill her belly with invertabrates than rodents! However the invertabrate nutrition is superior to the rodent's! It is much easier for an animal to absorb and utilize. There is no hair and almost 100% protein. Invertabrates guts are laid with carbohydrates and fiber which helps in regularity.

I recommend the book,"The Savannah Monitor Lizard" By Daniel Bennett & Ravi Thakoordyal Viper Press- Glossop, England.

AND To top off the whole discussion, I politely object to the whole idea that any monitor or any species of reptile is "Evil"! I believe that most of us don't need an explanation on that point!

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

People often pick baby lizards, of many species, out according to which one seems the most docile.

Which with reptiles usually translates to being the one that is sickest.

13. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

My rule of thumb is to choose the one that is the most active.

Whether or not they are docile or not can be worked on. However, That Ig that I bought over a year ago because she seemed so relaxed in my hand as a newborn...

Do I really have to go into detail? NRLOLBSO (Not really laughing out loud but sort of)

I would gladly take a flight to Costa Rica and let her go if I could!

I have come to believe that just because an animal is available on the market, That doesn't mean that they should be sold!

However, anyone who is in possession of any animal has the responsibility to properly care for it whether or not it is a pain in the *** or not!