This Disappears When Logged In

Escape Attempts

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Cherux02, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Cherux02

Cherux02 Member

Hi, wondering if anyone has a monitor that doesn't try to escape. I dont mean a lethargic lizard with questionable basking temps. I mean when your enclosure is 3x their length and they're properly supported with temp, diet and humidity. If they are active and smart, do they always scratch and climb looking for weaknesses in their enclosure? Is boredom and enrichment a concern? How do you address it? Its animals in boxes, at the end of the day.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, wouldn`t you want to escape from a (realistically) tiny space, especially when you know there is a big wide world outside!? Yes, they do get "bored" and we should do everything we can to enrich their captive lives.

3. Cherux02

Cherux02 Member

Great. Exactly. Even the monitor in the icon looks like it could be trying to get out of a window. What things do you do to help that? Anything creative besides rearranging their furniture or having variety in the kinds and locations of food?

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Rearranging the enclosure is not something I do too often, they seem to prefer to "know" every square cm of the enclosure, "outside" time can benefit them both physically and mentally (not necessarily outdoors) I allow short periods regularly.
    In my avatar he wanted to go outside in the garden but it was too cold, here`s a pic of when it wasn`t (taken several years ago)....

7311279016_bb2ddea75c[1].jpg

waagyl, AmityReptiles, TamJam and 2 others like this.