This Disappears When Logged In

Emergency-escaped African Clawed Frog

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Rio Nido, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Rio Nido

Rio Nido New Member

My female ACF is missing from her tank--I can't believe what a narrow gap she got through! I'm pretty sure she was in there with her smaller friend yesterday, but I don't know how long she's been out & I can't find her! I've moved everything I can think of! So, here are my questions:

How long can she survive out of water?
    How far would she be able to travel?
    The tank is upstairs--do they tend to go downwards by instinct, looking for water?
    Are there certain places in house that they tend to go towards?
    I've only looked on the floor, but I can see I've already underestimated her abilities--how much is she able to climb?
    If I put a shallow pans of water around each room, will she be able to find them by smell or something & go in? I could use her familiar tank water... How far would she be able to smell the water from?
    Any special tricks to attract or detect her?

PLEASE HELP FAST!

Thanks!:(

2. Josh H

Josh H Member

I don't know about the others but maybe put out a water dish and hope it stays in there or maybe if you get there fast enough you can see the wet footprints. I'm no expert though. Maybe put out some food

Rio Nido likes this.
  3. Rio Nido

Rio Nido New Member

I have a few shallow pans of her tank water in each room--no sign of her. I keep stepping in the pans though. ]: That's a good idea to check for footprints when I check the pans! I don't know how long she can last without water. Do you think the dog would have eaten her? Thanks for your reply, Josh!

4. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

It really depends on the dog. If your dog eats frogs in the yard then there's a good chance.
    Unfortunately not much you can do other than keep leaving the water out. I'm really not sure how this species does out of water I've never seen one like that

5. Josh H

Josh H Member

I do think that water is pretty necessary for ACFs though. And I bet the frog probably could hide pretty well and don't think the dog would get it. Never know though.