This Disappears When Logged In

Emerald Swift Enclosure Plans

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by DwarvenChef, Jan 23, 2012.

1. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

That's all the more reason to have multiple baking sites (both UVB and heat), multiple feeding sites, multiple hides, etc.

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Yup I was thinking that having a large log with multiple basking sites would be ok... No way in.. well you know :p It's been a while sense I had to deal with radical territory issues, short of thowing everyone out of the kitchen so I could cook :p

I got one plastic plant to wrap around the top of the log and another branch that is going on the left side, but now I need another bushy plant to segrigate the two logs lol, it never ends :p

3. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Aja, thanks for all the advice over this, I can't believe how rusty I have become over the years lol It's nice to have someone to bounce ideas around with that has been in the game a while.

4. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

2 More branches and I used plastic vines to wrap around them to creat visual barriers. So far so good. I'm using plastic barriers till the vines and other live plants take hold and get larger.

Both have been observed eating and that makes me happy, I was worried about the younger lady getting to stressed to eat. I have named the older female O-ushi, a charicter I like from the L5R gaming system. She is a bully after all lol. Working on the younger ladies name...

I find my self getting antsy awaiting for the call on Monday when the shop calls for orders to see if a good Male has been located... I don't want to be a pest but I really would like my little family to get completed.

My wife actually started talking about beardies again :) the one reptile she discovered on her own and with none of my proding. I'm dyeing to push that along but I want her to enjoy every part of this on her own terms, waiting for her to ask for my help if she needs it. She knows I will support her in any choice she makes and I don't want to smother her about it... but OH I WANT HER TO GET IT NOW!!! ok back to normal (breath...)

5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Got the digital temp/hygromiter set up. I placed the sensor at the center of where the lizards hang out, mid tank. temp was 84 with 40%...

I'm ok with tthe ambient temp but need more humidity. A plexiglass sheet may have to do as the towels are not making the cut. I'm looking for a min of 60%. Maybe I should also mist the towels on top for now till i get a piece of plexi cut...

6. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I prefer plywood to plexiglass when it comes to humidity. I've had better luck with it.

7. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Quarter inch stuff ? It needed to sit on the screen purtion of the lid.

Are there plywoods that don't have scary chemicals in them?

8. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I think any thickness will work. I use it on my sav tank and it works very well. The stuff I'm using is like quarter inch or less. I found it in my back yard and cleaned it.

I can't comment on the chemicals... I don't see why that would be an issue. The plywood shouldn't be wet so it shouldn't leech any chemicals. I think you'll be fine as long as it doesn't smell.

9. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I'll check with my local lumber yard, see what can be found. I have come across a few processed boards that reaked of pesticides and other chemicals. Not knowing if the fumes rise or fall makes me leary of using them for anything at all. I may be able to scare up some old boards at the ranch tomorow. Going to scout some areas that I used to see lots of lizard activity when I used to live there.

10. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

youngerEmeraldFhead.jpg
    YoungerEmeraldF.jpg
    youngerFEmerald.jpg

A rare moment when she's not on the screen lid... She dive bombs the crickets :p

Attached Files:

11. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

O-Ushi.jpg
    O-Ushi, the Bully

Lara.jpg
    Lara, always bouncing around

The girls now have names :)

Attached Files:

12. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Great photos, the photo of O-Ushi makes her look like she is proud of being a bully! lol

13. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Bugger, looks like Friday till I see a male Emerald. Naturally I work that day and weekend... So far so good with the girls, O-Ushi has taken to hiding in a hole in the log untill Lara lands on her log to snack on a chricket silly enough to go out in the open. Than O-Ushi runs out and chases Lara back up to the lid.

I may as well make a hide hamic in a corner because Lara just will not stay on the ground...

14. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

ARRGGHH :p had to vent...

Well it seems the male I was expecting developed issues or something at the wholesalers so I will not be getting that one. It is unknown at this time when a good male will be arriving but I am assured that the next sutable male will be sent for me.

I'm ok with waiting really, it's just frustrating setting up times to get pics and the time to get everything together. Than not have anything to produce for that time lol. Serves me right for getting into such left field pets lol

The girls will just have to wait longer before a new playmate/harrasser comes to town...

15. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Has Lara been able to bask or is O-Ushi preventing her from leaving the corner?

16. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

O-Ushi has taken a cave in the log and likes to hide there and while she is hiding Lara has free range. Most of that time is on the screen and hanging under various lights all over the tank so she can literaly pick and choose basking spots.

I do worry about Lara not having a real hide so to speak, I'm working on a cave idea or 2 as it will be so each lizard has a place to pop into when they want to. One cave I built on the floor is never even looked at so I may remove it and build the rest up on the branches. Looking at the wicker bird nests as a posable Hide, Have to find one and see if it will do.

17. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Cool that sounds good. If she's basking and has relaxed access to UVB and heat then that's great news! :)

It's hard to find hides that work. Trial and error. :)

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hey at least they were responsible and didn't just take your money and send you a lizard that wasn't going to make it.
    The glass is half full!;)

19. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Hear that :) Lara is starting to hang down on the branches more now. Only took her a week or so to figure out that branches are for basking on :p

20. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

New idea that I'm working on for a more constant water supply.

Just like all the Sceloporus I have come across, these gals drink off the leaves and screen (Lara), But that means they can only drink when I mist, not when they may be thursty. So in order to get a better water supply I bought a 3 gallon bottle that goes in the water cooler thingies (tech term). Now that I have an RO source of water, local water is nasty, I just have to come up with a way to jerry rig a set up to get the water to drip slowly and consistantly to an area where both gals can lick up what they need when they need it.

I'd love to hear what others have done for a drip system and bounce ideas around to get mine set up properly.