This Disappears When Logged In

Egg Laying Questions

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Maddy615, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Maddy615

Maddy615 New Member

I have what I believe is a female leopard gecko and I recently saw someone on instagram post about their gecko getting ready to lay eggs. She also has a male and is breeding them, but I was wondering if at some point my gecko will lay eggs despite having no male gecko around and what I should do when this time comes. At my house we recently had one of our birds pass away due to laying too many eggs and not getting enough calcium, and our other got egg-bound and almost died from that so now I'm super paranoid about either of those things happening to my gecko as well. I know they're different species but I'm assuming both are possible for most, if not all, egg-laying animals

2. Atroxus

Atroxus Well-Known Member

Female geckos can lay unfertilized eggs, and can become egg bound, so calcium supplements as well as a place to lay eggs may be helpful. It may be worth asking your friend who breeds to show you what her geckos look like when gravid, so you can get an idea how to tell if/when your girl has eggs to drop.

AmityReptiles likes this.
  3. Maddy615

Maddy615 New Member

Alright, thank you so much!

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I haven't had any issues with my females producing eggs unless a male was present at some point, but yes they might become gravid without a male. You can usually see the eggs through the skin of the belly if it's a lighter skinned animal. Wish I had a picture.