This Disappears When Logged In

Eco Earth

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Jordlord123, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Jordlord123

Jordlord123 New Member

My leopard gecko is about 45 grams, I decided I would put her on Eco earth and see how it goes. If I feed her outside the tank, will this prevent impaction? Remember this Eco earth is dry to control humidity. Should I keep her on the Eco earth or switch to another substrate?

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Why would you even consider housing the leopard gecko on that? it isn't even close to being a natural substrate for them. Yes, you should be using something else. The fact that you are posting and asking means you know you shouldn't be using it.

Leopard Gecko Substrates | Herp Center

TJOHNSON722 likes this.
  3. Kristof

Kristof Well Established Member

I keep my Leo's on eco earth. IMO It is the best loose substrate, as if they do eat some they'll have no problem passing it. However @Rich is right, this is nowhere near to their natural substrate.

4. Rich

@Kristof - Could you share me the study that says your leopard gecko can digest and pass coconut fiber substrate. (There isn't one.) As far as I know and from the work my wife does at the animal hospital, I am 100% certain you are mistaken. Larger species have come through the hospital with impactions from coconut fiber. SMH (We haven't seen leos impacted by it yet but that is because most people at least make an attempt to house their geckos properly and simply don't use that stuff with them.) Sand and calci-sand are the 2 biggest offenders.

Everyone use to argue that sand could be passed until they found out that sand causes impactions. Then came calci-sand and that was suppose to be the fix. Of course it was the greatest stuff, until it caused its first impaction. Now I am reading that a user want to use eco-earth and another user already does. This will be great stuff until someone posts online that their leo ingested some. Then there will be the bash session of how ignorant the owner was for using it to begin with, blah, blah, blah. Yes, I have had this conversation before. The long and short of it is simple. If you actually care about your pets, you house them so that they are with you as long as possible. You don't house them in a manner that could kill them over time because it looks pretty.

Using eco-earth shows that the enclosure was designed for the owner and not for the species. While natural substrates are desirable (eco-earth is about as unnatural as you are going to get for "natural" substrates) there will be a risk of impaction. I offer a number of options for natural substrates in our care guide. These are based off of information from other long-time breeders and my own personal knowledge. You won't find coconut substrate listed among any of them. It is not designed for this species and it shouldn't be used with this species.

I have been running reptile websites now for 14+ years (Many of those years were with @Merlin.) I do believe that this thread is maybe the 3rd or 4th time coconut substrate use with leos has been a topic. That alone should speak volumes. If it were a great substrate for the species, why isn't everyone using it? lol

Buggy0123 likes this.
  5. Jordlord123

Jordlord123 New Member

Alright thanks everyone you make convincing points thanks for the help

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Another thing. Dry eco earth is dusty! That's asking for respiratory issues.

Rich likes this.
  7. Kristof

Kristof Well Established Member

@Rich Would excavator clay be a more sutable substrate ? I'm getting a larger tank for my two girls and was looking at that to use.

8. Rich

9. Louise King

Louise King New Member

I personally don't agree with anything being said here, and Eco-Earth is perfectly fine.

Sebastian Baird likes this.