This Disappears When Logged In

Eco Earth Mold

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by CrestedGecko21, Nov 13, 2014.

1. CrestedGecko21

CrestedGecko21 Active Member

Hello everyone,

I have a 12x12x18 Crested Gecko terrarium with Eco Earth as the substrate. I purchased the three pack of bricks, and followed the instructions on the packaging. It seemed like a lot of water to add to it, but it soaked it up and expanded fairly quickly. I added it to the terrarium approximately 30-45 minutes after I added the water. As the title of the thread suggests, the Eco Earth is molding with a white looking mold. Should I have let the Eco Earth dry before I put it in the terrarium? Or would it be easier to buy the loose stuff?

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

You can bake it to dry it faster, if you want. I have seen this on occasion - just stir the stuff to help get some air movement around it, and it usually goes away.

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The white mold will clear up on its own in a few days. I have had the same issue. It is typically there within 24-48 hours and is gone by the end of the first week. It will reappear now and again and seems to be harmless. Springtails can be added to the enclosure if you are really worried about it. The white mold is pretty common. If the mold were black, that would be a cause for concern. My 2 planted crestie tanks never get the mold at all. I see it in my 3rd tank with the gecko who has artificial plants. (It is a different style tank that doesn't have the right lighting for plants.) I would simply monitor it. It should be gone in a few days. Let the eco-earth dry out btw. It retains moisture extremely well and the surface will dry up long before the under layers do. When I replace it, I add my water in increments when creating a new batch. I like to be able to squeeze it and have very little water come out, but it feels moist. That seems to work well.

4. CrestedGecko21

Thanks everyone. The mold is still here, and it looks like the bottom layers are molding and it is creeping up on the base of the driftwood as well. Do you recommend that I replace the substrate with fresh EcoEarth, or just stir it up? Also, would it be easier to buy the loose bags of EcoEarth instead of the bricks?

5. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Do you have good ventilation on the enclosure? As the surface of the substrate dries, that mold would die off. Your substrate must still be pretty wet for it to be thriving like it is. If it is still growing and spreading, it may be a good idea to replace it. I use the bricks. Don't add so much water. Add some, break it up, add a little more, break it up some more, etc. I get the stuff moist but not wet. I try to wring out any excess moisture before it goes in my enclosures.

6. CrestedGecko21

The Exo Terra has the front window ventillation, and the screen top. I think I used too much water when I was making it. I placed it in the terrarium immediately after it expanded.

7. Reyes

Reyes New Member

Dose anyone know if it is harmful to hermit crabs