This Disappears When Logged In

Eating

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Christy Pancake, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Hey everyone! I have a 4 month old green iguana named Jade. She's a picky eater. When I bought her I haven't seen her eat that much and she won't eat in front of me yet. I've tried almost everything on the veggie and fruit list...even tried dried and gel iguana food. I spray her food with reptile vitamins to at least get some nutrients in her if possible. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Hi, can you describe enclosure conditions, and maybe show some pics of the enclosure? Problems in this area are usually the cause of eating issues.
    Thanks!

4. She's in a 45 gal.terrarium

Attached Files:

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

How long have you had her?

6. Almost 2 months

7. Merlin

The not eating in front of you is normal. Iguanas are a prey animal and when they are feeding they are in a vulnerable position. As they get used to yo that will change.
    Part of your issue is that tank. Iguanas are an active animal and need room. That tank is way too small. It's like us living in a bathroom. The lack of space results in it feeling trapped.
    What are the temperatures in the tank? Keep in mind that those analog gauges are junk and can be 10 to 15 degrees off.
    And I would also advise to remove the alfalfa pellets. In the presence of warm and moisture those things are a hotspot of mold and bacteria.

8. I use 100 watt repti-basking spot lamp and repti-sun bulbs

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, the cloth hammock is useless as a basking object because it doesn`t hold any heat, so is the "pad" on the bottom of the enclosure, you must use something solid. I`m guessing you have no idea what the basking surface temps are either, you urgently require an IR Temp-gun, very cheap to buy but very accurate, I`ll put a link up as an example....
    If the UVB is a compact bulb it isn`t very effective at all, much better are the linear tubes such as the T5 HO (high output) by Arcadia or Zoo-Med @ 10-0 or 12-0 UVB.
    I think the conditions are the cause of the current problems, as long the iguana is undermetabolised it`s health is at great risk.
    I believe a digital hygrometer can be bought from Lowes or Walmart for around $13, I hope someone else will suggest where to get the Temp-gun...

Digital Infrared Handheld Temperature Gun Thermometer Non-Contact IR Laser Point | eBay

Digital Meter Lcd Temperature Humidity Thermometer Hygrometer Vivarium Reptile | eBay

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  10. I corrected the wrongs I got a temp gun on order but until then I added another lamp that brought the temp to 89-90 degrees F. Anything else that could be helpful?

11. Merlin

Spend time near the enclosure. Sit quietly beside it maybe even talking or reading out loud. The ig needs to recognize you as a good thing as opposed to something to fear. And this can take a while. Some of them are very slow to come around.

12. Thanks everyone for the info! I'll give it a try.