This Disappears When Logged In

Earthworm Eggs??

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by pandorasbox, Nov 29, 2012.

1. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

So I added 4 earthworms to my crested gecko terrarium I'm thinking sometime in August, and several days ago I noticed some white sludge against the glass beneath the surface of the soil. Tiny perfect little spheres, hundeds, maybe thousands of them. They've got to be earthworm eggs, I can't think of what else they could possibly be. Not many pictures of them online though. Agree/disagree??

jGl5Jl.jpg
    ndIMsl.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Looks like it! You lucky sludge mom you!

3. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

Yay... accepting reservations for earthworm hatchlings... lol. I don't know what kind of hatch rate they have, but I think I may have more earthworms than soil.

4. williamweir10

williamweir10 Elite Member

I 'loled' at this.

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well when they hatch they are really small and white so just scoop them up and throw them out side or in a different bin.

6. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

I think I will probably put some in one of my other terrariums, and see if anyone locally wants any too. It's already pretty cold out here, so they will have to be indoor worms for a while. Do you know how long it takes them to hatch??

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I never monitored them...shouldn't be longer than a month or two.

8. williamweir10

Just curious, what do you have that eats earthworms?

9. justor

justor Elite Member

They are in a crested gecko tank so I assume they are not food. Earthworms help keep the soil clean.

10. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Well, they said it was in their crested gecko terrarium, and they're probably just a clean-up crew.

11. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Beat me to it ;P

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

12. williamweir10

Oh? I must have missed that part.. Thanks :)

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I have them only in tanks that the animals will eat them in such as both box turtle setups and the CWDs cage. Tried it in my beardie cage but they only annoyed him as he couldn't grab them.

14. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

Yup, they are just the cleanup crew. To be honest, I haven't even seen them since I put them in. I had a little bit of white mold around the base of one of my plants, so I got them to keep the soil (ecoearth) moving and I haven't had any issues since. My crested gecko is rarely on the ground, so I doubt he even knows they are there.

15. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

What kind of earthworms did you put in there for cleanup? I was considering doing the same in a couple of my cages.