This Disappears When Logged In

Dwarf Reticulated Confusion

Discussion in 'Pythons *General*' started by Karma Momma, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Karma Momma

Karma Momma Active Member

I've seen ads, etc for dwarf reticulated pythons. I'm not in the market, but am just curious. Are they a separate species or is this the result of selective breeding? Do they occur naturally in the wild?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed light on this.
  2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

They're examples of island dwarfism. They occur naturally as several island localities and I believe they are often bred with normal sized reticulated morphs to make them a bit smaller.
    Karma Momma likes this.
  3. Karma Momma

Karma Momma Active Member

Awesome. Thank you. As humans, we "create" new things all the time and I wasn't sure if this was the case.

I appreciate it very much.
    Qwerty3159 likes this.
  4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You also have to keep in mind that the term "Dwarf" is relative. When you are talking about a snake that can reach almost 30 ft, 10-12 is a dwarf!
    Qwerty3159 and Karma Momma like this.
  5. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

I'm sure some lines have been bred with the smallest animals from each locality making even smaller animals, but they do of course occur in dwarf forms naturally.
  6. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

There are several species of boa constrictors that are true dwarfs, typicall only grow to 5-6'. There's also the Dumeril's boa, a bit heavier-bodied than red tails but they don't grow as long either.
    This girl is between 1-2 years old, not certain exactly:

Great disposition, doesn't mind being picked up and handled, but she spends nearly all her time under the hides.
    Karma Momma likes this.