This Disappears When Logged In

Dwarf Retic Cage? Tips. Anything Helps

Discussion in 'Reticulated Pythons' started by Hkg, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Okay. So I've done ample amount of research so don't worry. But I might be getting a 3 year old het albino poss stripe dwarf retic. He's 7 feet right now and his owner just fed him a guinea pig. So before I get him I'm gonna build a cage. I have a empty wall that is 7 feet long. So I'm planning on making the cage 7'x3'or4'x3' (lengthXwidthXheight). But I'm having trouble coming up with a design... I want it to be the most convienent cage ever! Should I get sliding glass doors or a hinged door? Etc... The part I'm having the most trouble with though is what wood to use. It can't be super heavy because I live upstairs, so the floor has to be able to support it, and carrying it down the stairs if need be can't be impossible. I was thinking melamine but I feel like it will just snap. So let me know. Any other tips for caring for these guys would be great! This will be my first. And yes I realize the potential size and aggression in the cage. I'm well prepared. Thank you in advance!

2. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

You should just buy an 8' AP cage. Less hassle, lighter than anything you can throw together yourself and as for hinged/sliding glass... hinged, no questions. for bigger animals like dwarf retics, boas, etc hinged is the only way to go

3. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Melamine on a cage that big will make for the heaviest beast of a cage ever, so I definitely wouldn't go that route. A couple of other things to consider: a three foot deep cage will be very difficult to clean. I have really long arms and sometimes I still have difficulty cleaning my 2 foot deep cages. Unless its tall enough to actually get inside of 3' will be a pain in the butt. If you want to do it yourself the easiest route is probably well framed plywood. It will still be very heavy though. As eric said, if being able to move the cage easily is a high priority for you a professionally built pvc cage is probably the best option. It will be very expensive though. So there is your big tradeoff: do you care more about cost or wieght?

Sliding doors for retics are usually a no go because they can easy push them open. You can get around this with locks, but honestly I really dislike sliding door set ups and prefer drop down doors.

4. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

I'm sorry but I have no clue what either of those cages are. Hahah. My apologize. As for the depth it will be kind of hard to clean, but I also want to provide mr apothis (dwarf retic) with as much room as possible, y'know? As for doors I will be going hinged!! So thank you for saving me on that one. I've only dealt with the sliding glass 2 times. Once in my melamine 4'x2'x2' that was used for my rescue boa and currently on a 4'x3'x1' vision cage for my tegu. I liked them at first but I guess with a 7 foot potentially cage aggressive snake they wouldn't be as practical. Ha. So are those cages suggested above, are they nice and secure? I don't want to give this guy a chance of escaping. I mean I'll be home all dy with him but if I look away and he escapes, that wouldn't be to good.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Melamine is lousy as a cage material./ Not only is it heavy, it is basically glued together sawdust! At the least little scratch that penetrates its coating allowing moisture inside, it will deteriorate.

6. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Yeah. That's another down side to melamine. The littlest humidity in the board ruins it. The melamine cage I have came with the boa. I hate it. I just flipped it over and it's a stand for my tegu cage.

7. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

So I checked out the ap cages, they're nice! Kind of pricey but nice. Mobutu I noticed they didn't have hinged doors.... Have you used or know about boa file caging? If so would that be good?

8. EriksExotics

I personally have bought from ap and boaphile and I prefer ap but either way is good. I've just had more favorable experiences with ap plus they're cheaper so I prefer them. I could have sworn they had hinged door enclosures

9. EriksExotics

10. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Oh right on! Thank you for all the help. I'm gonna do a little more research and see what one would beat suite me. I've heard that they both take a couple weeks to be shipped. Which would be a problem. But thank you for the help.

11. EriksExotics

The ap will probably take at least a month

12. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Okay. Thank you or the heads up. I'm gonna try and contact them tomorrow to see if they can give me a estimate. I might buy a a big tub and or something for a short amount of time. I'll try and keep you updated on my decision.

13. EriksExotics

Sounds good