This Disappears When Logged In

Dwarf Gecko Help

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by gardener, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

if you can get a better pic it would help alot too. your welcome.YOur in ak..alaska?

2. travisgecko...

travisgecko... Elite Member

lol thought i would just add my two cents!! if the gecko is young it should be fed
    half of a dozen crickets every other day, the crickets should be 1/8 of an inch. i fed my pictus this diet and it lived a long life, he died at 20 years of age

the exact name for your gecko is striped paroedura pictus gecko the same i had

if you have any questions i am practically the paroedura pictus gecko master.. ok im just kidding but ask if your are not sure about something

i cant believe i could not identify that gecko! sooner

i got him from a relative when he was about 3 though

3. gardener

gardener Member

Yep- Douglas, Alaska- we're an island across from Juneau. You know, that famous sub zero herp capitol you hear so much about! lol We have one pet store and I have never thought much of one of the owners. I keep macaws so I HAVE to go in there for food-too expensive to have something like that shipped up. I have a great store in WA that I get toys and things from for them. travisgecko- we have no idea how old this little guy is. I'll try for a better picture.

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Nate, correct me if I am wrong, but aren't they most commonly refered to as Ocelot Geckos ? at least in the pet trade.

5. gardener

gardener Member

We have crickets- I called her at work and told her she needed to leave 15 min. early. They also offered her either her money back, or a replacement. She took the replacement. Now, after reading MoogleBass' care sheet, I'm hoping it isn't another male. . .it sure comes in handy knowing what you have.

***the little guy is eating*** he apparently had enough strength!

I tried for a better picture, but he wouldn't cooperate. That and my camera is junk.

6. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Most breeders hold onto males, the predominant sex available are females. When they are so young it's difficult to really be sure but I think your chances are good.

7. gardener

gardener Member

Thanks guys- I'm signing off now- I'll let you know how this works.

8. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

best of luck

9. travisgecko...

travisgecko... Elite Member

you can sex them at 8 weeks of age

10. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Not accurately (at least not 100%)

11. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Most lable them as pictus. That is all i have saw, that is how everyone ive talked to them refere to them. The whole stripe part inst in the name... Its just P. pictus. There are several morphs, stripe, 2 stripe, the common banded, xan, reds, and some are saying hypo and snows.

For the sex, the breeder i know she has mostly males for sale, i mean like cheap Xans for 20 at one time. Normals 10. Crazy though.

12. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

glad you got the help you seem to need. I hope your little ones continue to eat.

13. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but Gardener's gecko photo looks more like a Stenodactylus species (dune geckos), not a pictus gecko. The most common one I'm familiar with is Petri's dune gecko, Stenodactylus petrii, better known as just "Petri's gecko" or "dune gecko". Occasionally they're known as "frog-eyed geckos" or "frog-eyed dune geckos", but these names are less common and should be avoided because true frog-eyed geckos are genus Teratoscincus. Dune geckos are desert species and will not thrive under pictus gecko living conditions. Aside from the physical resemblance to a dune gecko, I think this makes more sense because pictus geckos are common enough that they shouldn't be confused for something else. Dune geckos are less often seen and like leopard geckos they are an arid species. I can see how the species would be confused though. That darker stripe on the side is the first thing that tipped me off.

Examples of Stenodactylus:

http://www.gekkota.com/assets/images/stenodactylus.sp2.jpg

http://www.scserp.com/images/FrogEyedDuneGecko001.JPG

http://web.telia.com/~u45603599/stenod1.jpg

http://www.maniacreptiles.com/image/petrie gecko.jpg

Edit:
    Apparently they're also occasionally known as sand geckos or dwarf sand geckos, which are also improper common names, because "sand gecko" is already the name of another species I believe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.