This Disappears When Logged In

Dumeril's Boa??

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by Dirkthejerk41, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Dirkthejerk41

Dirkthejerk41 Elite Member

Does anyone have any experience with the Dumeril's Boa?? I am considering acquiring one through a trade, so just looking to see what people think. Any experience, tips, etc. welcome!!!

2. cctbspencer

cctbspencer Elite Member

I have two females (sisters) and an unrelated male. The females are almost two years old now and the male is one year old. They are fantastic! I handle them for 5-10 minutes every other day. They are currently housed in 28 quart Sterilite tubs on a rack next to my computer desk. Everytime I sit down here they come to the front and watch! Right now they are over 4" FlexWatt running off of a HydroFarm thermostat set at 91 degrees. This holds the hot side at 86-88 and the cool end at 76. I use heavyweight painter's mask (similar to brown craft paper) for substrate. They have large enough water bowls to soak in, but they never do. I mist the tubs twice a week to hold 60% humidity. They have never given me any problems feeding (see below) and are taking frozen/thawed. Right now I am feeding every Sunday but will back off to every 10 days when they get a little more size to them. The females are 557 grams and 299 grams. The male is 273 grams. Phoenix is smaller than Fyre because she got a URI from being delivered to a meat packing plant and placed in a freezer for hours before I tracked the package down. During this time she refused food. Four injections of Ceftazidime fixed her right up. I am currently building each of them a 4' X 2' plywood enclosure. They are very gentle and curious. I don't have years of experience with them, but I will certainly answer any questions that I can.

Here are a couple of pictures of Fyre and Phoenix taken back in October. I will post new ones.

10162012%20dump%20254.jpg
    10162012%20dump%20259.jpg

3. Dirkthejerk41

I don't have a rack, but could I house one in a large tub for awhile?

4. cctbspencer

cctbspencer Elite Member

Yes, you could. I have seen people cut the side out of a large foot locker style Rubbermaid bin and bolt/caulk a PlexiGlass panel in. There are homemade racks built around these giant totes and used to house adult boas. I was actually very close to doing this myself before deciding on the plywood cages that I am working on now. The only reason I didn't is because the birch is so much more pleasing to the eyes.

5. Dirkthejerk41

Okay cuz in the trade he does not have an enclosure with it but he said he'll give me a large sterilite with a heat pad on the side. This would work?

6. cctbspencer

cctbspencer Elite Member

Yes, until he/she outgrows it. Is the heat pad on a thermostat? If not, you should get one. I think I replied to another post of yours about the HydroFarm thermostats............I love them. You'll also have to devise a system to keep the lid securely fastened. Please, don't stack canned hams on it for weight..........you laugh but I have seen it..........

How large is the snake you are talking about here?

7. Dirkthejerk41

nvm, I am not getting it anymore so it's irrelevant now. :) Back to planning for my red tegu!