This Disappears When Logged In

Dumerils Boa

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by TitoAndKatt, Jan 14, 2011.

1. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

There is a gorgeous Dumerils boa on CL right now for $150. I probably won't get him, but I like to drool over the picture and dream... haha

But I would like to know as I know they are very similar to Columbian RTB: what is their care and disposition like? I know they aren't as big as Columbian Boas, but how big DO they get? And what cage size do they need and how is their temperament?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Dumerils are one of the species I have been looking into, eliciting my wife's "ANOTHER BOA!" reaction!
    Anyways....
    Average size is 4-6ft, although there are reports of specimens reaching 9ft. They are generally calm but some have been known to be timid and not care much for handling. A cage size of 4'x2' by 14 inches tall is good for an adult.

3. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

If you have access to the March 2011 issue of REPTILES magazine, they have a very informative article concerning these beautiful (and DROOL worthy) animals. If you do not have access, I may be able to scan the pages and e-mail them to you. ;)

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! David, I was looking at the same issue. But only subscribers can see it as yet. The over the counter Reptiles run a good month or two behind.

5. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I would LOVE to see a scan of the article!

Here is the CL add by the way.... *drooooooooollll*
    Dumeril's Boa Baby

I wonder how tall the space under my bed is...... ;) If I had the SPACE I would buy him. If he was born this summer (July), how long do you think he could stay in a 29 gallon tank?

:D

Oh and I do not believe that the picture posted is actually the snake for sale. I have seen the picture posted on CL Dumerils adds before (and drooled at it then as well). But regardless..... *tries to find place for a 4x2 foot cage*

It is really looking like my roommate will not be giving me her Boa OR corn snake *glares* even though she SAID she would. :mad: So, I mean I had already planed on another snake....and I ahve wanted a Boa for Soooo Long!

Must....resist......!!!!!!!!!!

6. bighog85

bighog85 Elite Member

My Dumerils is one of my favorite snakes that I have. They have an awesome feeding response and sometimes mine will start caudal luring when I start dangling the rat in her enclosure. She is usually buried completely except for her eyes and when she strikes it is just an explosion of bedding everywhere. Lots of fun and GORGEOUS to boot. DO IT!!

7. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

:D hahaha DON'T Tempt me! I am already tempted enough! I have NO idea where I would put such a large cage in a room already filled with cages! haha With my roommate's Columbian Boa, we were going to make an entertainment center where the cage would be under the TV, but we can't fit 2 cages that way...

At about 5 months old, how long do you think it would be until I would need to upgrade if I put him in a 29 gallon? I read that they are slow growers...?

GAH! I don't even think I HAVE $150 right now! haha (Though paycheck go through on the 20th......) Tuition is due....but he is sooo beautiful.....!!!!
    :-" :eek: >:)

8. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

To be or not to be is the question!
    Are you sure your not really dr. jekyll and mr. hyde?
    or maybe you have an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other.

I think that you should do a pros and cons list and see which one is a longer list.

9. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

what if they are equal?! :O
    And how long can he stay in a 29 gallon Roughly? I hear they grow slowly and can take up to 5+ years to reach adult size and this guy is just a baby at 5mo...

10. David McConley

Merlin- I figured as much about the subscription. Sad, but GREAT for you and me right? ;). I will try to get the scan done tomorrow when my son takes a nap. Then I will need you to PM me your e-mail address so I can send it to you, if that is OK?

11. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

cool thanks! Does it have care info in there too?

12. David McConley

Yes, the name of the article is "THE OTHER BOA- Captive care for the little known Dumeril's boa". I'll get that off to you as soon as I can! It also has an AWESOME centerfold poster! I'll scan that for you as well.

13. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

My dumeril's is one of my favorite snakes as well. He is different from most in that he extremely laid back for feeding response and fasts for about 4 months every year. Other than that he is awesome and I can't wait to start breeding these guys. $150 is kind of high for that snake. They usually go $75-100. You can get a breedable adult for the price being asked. As far as the 29 gal. I would say a pretty long time depending on how fast it grows. My guy is a slow goer because he only eats mice. Good luck and great snakes.