This Disappears When Logged In

Dumbest Things Heard in a Pet Store

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mldolan, Mar 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

The otherwise very nice guy at my local pet shop is *convinced* that I am an ignoramus who is going to kill her beardie by feeding him superworms that have not been decapitated. Every time I come in there for supers, he kind of pauses, then reluctantly asks how many. I've tried to 'splain it to him, but he insists that his buddy's beardie died from superworm gastric attack. (Of course, the beardie was on crushed walnut shells, which I bet was the REAL culprit in eating up his insides!)

On the plus side, I have managed to get the folks at my PetCo to keep the baby leos, at least, on repti-carpet, and I stayed there breathing down one clerk's neck until she took a crested gecko out from the leopard gecko tank and set it up in its own tank. She was really flummoxed when I explained that the two animals come from entirely different environments and that the appropriate tank setup for one would kill the other, and vice-versa. The crestie was in a tank that must have been in the 90s! I told the clerk I was NOT leaving until she got the crestie its own tank, properly set up. And I had two increasingly whiny kids with me! Between my insistence and the kids' whining, the clerk finally gave up and did what I said. I went back the next day to make sure they hadn't moved the crestie back, and they hadn't.

2. CMKoehler

CMKoehler Elite Member

Just a redeeming comment, my local petco is pretty good. My brother in law works there and he has several corn snakes and bp and king snakes, so he knows his stuff about snakes and has a good idea about geckos.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

oh, I do have one.

That Pixie Frog won't get big, its a miniature. suuuuuuuure.

4. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Well, I guess I'm lucky. I don't have to shop at Petco or Petsmart. I have gone there for dog and cat supplies.
    I have a local privately owned store that handles reptiles. They are up on 95% of the current thinking on herp care. There's only 4 people there but 2 are the owners and have been in the biz for 20 years.
    I guess the funniest or otherwise comment that I've heard was this girl at Petsmart who couldn't be more than 18, In a discussion about fish and aquariums, She informed me that she is a "Vet. Asst." She said it in a way that seemed smug.
    Is this supposed to impress me? How many people take their fish to a vet? And I know she hasn't been to vet school unless she is a Ms. Doogie howser. If she was, She wouldn't be working at Petsmart!

5. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I dont take my fish to the vet,, my vet comes out for them,, but I have pretty spendy koi, lol

6. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

Nicole, I was absolutely amazed when I saw a TV show where they had a vet doing surgery on koi. I had never thought about fish surgery... Of course it was done underwater. Wow, it was cool!

7. nicole

nicole Elite Member

yep,, they do all kinds of things. I have a very large female who was grabbed by a crane and then dropped ,as I ran after the bird she flew back down and just kept pecking her until I was about 6 feet from her and she finally gave up and flew off. Well my koi had some pretty deep injuries and the vet came out and packed her wounds and gave me injections to give her daily, lol

(ever try to catch a fish every day in a very large pond, makes for quite the ordeal, lol)

8. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

Great story! The kids are the perfect touch! ;)

LOL... don't you think "petite" when you hear the word "pixie"??

I hate when people act like that... nurses and doctors too!

Now I KNOW you're certifiable!! ;)

9. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

lol I can see it now, Nicole with =a net trying to catch the koi as Oscar is ramming her trying to get lunch! 8D

10. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I have had her for about 8 years, lol. I am a little attached, lol. I have a zillion fish, but her and Jaws are the reason I build ponds when we move to a different house, lol

11. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

Please don't get me started on leopard geckos on sand. I work at a petco, and no matter how much i bug them, im forced to keep the leopard geckos on sand, even the baby leopard geckos, Petco forces you to follow there "plan a grams" It tells you what substrate to use, what hide, what water dish, what plant, and so on, its ridiculous. At least i was able to seperate the house geckoes and green anoles into separate enclosures, a small victory, but i also had to put quite a few reptiles on repti-bark that i think should be on the coconut bedding.
    Sorry for the rant, but im already tired of the corporate bull there.

12. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

I guess the folks at my PetCo are rebels, lol! Or maybe they got tired of me complaining to the manager once a week, bringing them articles, etc.

Ryan, I would be very frustrated in your position. But anything you can do to educate folks and improve things for the animals is very valuable. Even small changes make a big difference.

13. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

Thank you. Maybe next time the DM swings around i can get a chance to talk to her about it. If she won't listen im completely willing to go above her for approval.

14. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

You might as well pick out a spot on the wall to start banging your head against. I know corporations all too well. If you're at the bottom, You're little people. You might as well get used to either being treated like you know nothing or you get the patronizing discussion where you might think they're listening to you, But in reality they are only pacifying you by letting you vent.
    The decisions on what substrates to use are made at company headquarters. And they're made to maximize the profits of the company. As long as an "Acceptable" amount of animals live, Nothing will change.

15. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

One way you might want to approach it is to tell the DM that the customers are complaining. You're not lying, by the way... we've ALL been into Petco, and we're ALL complaining! ;)

16. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

You haven't been to my Petco!!! LOL

17. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

haha, i could actually go to that petco and lodge a real complaint. Its not that far. Maybe the next time i'm down in that area....

18. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

Hey if you happen to be passing through, both i, and the litle baby leopard geckos would appreciate it, granted im still not sure that would get to the people who could ok the change, but maybe it would be changed just to pacify the "unruly customers" lol.

19. Sphinx

Sphinx Elite Member

I don't really trust what any petstore whether or not they have achieved nationwide corportate status. I told a mom and pop store their leopard geckos needed a humid hide to shed in. They replied that the leopard geckos had a water dish to soak in if they needed to shed. Plus they were on sand. I hate going to shows because breeders are selling snakes by one name when its clearly a different species. Because of my untrusting nature I have a 2" binder full of care sheets on animals I have, used to have, or want. I never trust just one.

20. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

Better safe then sorry, right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.