This Disappears When Logged In

Dudley And His New Shed

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Yvonne G, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Member

My Sulcata, Dudley, weighs 110lbs and lives outside year round. He has access to a heated, insulated shed. Thankfully, he has never offered to dig a burrow. I guess he feels his needs are met with his shed:

Dudley's rebuild 01-02-15 a.jpg Dudley's rebuild 01-02-15 c.jpg Dudley's Rebuild 01-31-15 b.jpg Dudley's Rebuild 01-31-15 e.jpg Dudley's Rebuild 2-1-15 a.jpg Dudley's rebuild 2-1-15 c.jpg Dudley's rebuild 2-1-15 e.jpg

The average winter temperatures here in Central California are 50F or so days and 32F or so nights, with the occasional dip down into the 20's. Dudley goes out even when there's frost on the ground. When he gets cold, he goes back into the shed.

Here's his water:
    Dudley's waterer 3-12-14.jpg

It's the lid off a garbage toter.

I got Dudley as a rescue when he was about 35lbs. He already had the pyramiding. We have since learned that hatchling leopards and Sulcatas need to be raised in warm humid conditions to mimic the monsoon season where they come from.

Feel free to post your sulcata pictures and enclosures here in this thread. I'd love to see the tortoise part of this forum get going again.

Lori68 likes this.
  2. jonathan.piazza91

jonathan.piazza91 Active Member

Beautiful animal. Thanks for sharing! If I ever get a tortoise I'll contribute more than just a compliment :)

3. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Member

Thank you!

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Love that setup. Gets too cold here in the winter for that, and my girl Burrows. Matter of fact I have to bring her in over the next couple days, it's supposed to drop down in the 50s overnight, and she is prone to getting an ri if I leave her out. I want to try building a mini version of the shed at some point.

5. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Member

A lot of folks make the tortoise shed smaller. It's easier (and cheaper) to heat a smaller shed. But I'm old, and raising a roof/lid to lean in and scrape out poop is hard on my back. So I built Dudley's shed so I'm able to walk inside with my poop scoop to clean it out.

Darkbird likes this.
  6. Darkbird

Yeah, makes sense. When I had to pull my girl in a couple days ago, I decided it was time to fill in her latest burrow. I wish I could tell you how deep it went, but after digging down to about 3ft below ground level and finding out that a gopro on a stick wouldn't even let me see the end, I gave up and did the fill in. Guessing it exceeded 12' from where it started.

7. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Member

Yes, they are excellent burrow-makers! The burrow goes at an downward angle for a few feet then it turns right and continues deeper to the actual sleeping/turn around are. I think the bend in the tunnel serves to keep the warmer topside air from reaching the sleeping area.

8. Darkbird

Well, one of my other hobbies is radio controlled vehicles, so I see a small machine with off road tires and a camera mounted on it in the future. On the plus side, for my tort at least, she gets to go back outside today for at least the next week, the temps are supposed to be back up starting today.

9. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Member

This has been a very strange weather year. Can we see pictures of your tortoise?

10. Darkbird

Yeah at some point. I don't have any available at the moment as I cleaned out close to 2k of pics and video from my phone to my laptop, and I haven't had time to sort and re-load any back yet.

11. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Member

If you ever do rig up a "land drone" to inspect the burrow, I'm VERY interested in seeing that video!!!

12. Darkbird

Oh trust me, it'll get posted. Probably won't happen this season, my girl only has another month max to be outside on anything approaching a regular basis, and I have a ton of other projects that would be ahead of that at the moment. Plus I did fill that one in as best I could. Didn't want to have a hard time retrieving her when it gets cold again.