This Disappears When Logged In

Dropped My Hatchling

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by CanadaDan1971, Aug 25, 2011.

1. CanadaDan1971

CanadaDan1971 Member

I was moving my hatching snow from the feeding tank to his habitate and he had slither through the hole in cocohut (I moved that too since he's still a little freaked by the feeding tank).

When I saw he had slithered through the small hole in the top I stupidly thought "Perfect I don't even need to touch him to get him back to his tank. I'll just pick up the whole thing." (He's still a little freaked out when I pick him up, he's only been with me a couple of weeks.) While I was moving him he slither out of the hole and fell to the floor. I managed to pick him up and he seemed a little scared from the drop but other wise fine. He's so small it was hard to tell if check for broken ribs. My hope is that he is so light that the fall did no damage.

The problem is that I don't know what to look for. What are the signs that he might be hurt?

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Oh, no good! Accidents happen-I guess just keep an eye out and make sure he's acting normal. Keep us updated!

3. LisaT

LisaT Member

When my BP was about 7-8 weeks old she was in my hand, I was setting top back on her enclosure. Before I knew it she slithered off the side of my hand and hit the floor. I freaked out. Truth is I think I was more freaked than her. Did he try to crawl away, if he was stunned from the fall he would not have been moving much. And had he just eaten? You said that you were moving him from feeding tank. I think if he was that freaked out he would have regergitated his meal. I am sure in the wild they loose grip and fall at some point. If he is crawling around and coiling , normal behavior, I bet he is fine.

4. CanadaDan1971

CanadaDan1971 Member

Yeah, he had just eaten and he didn't regurgatate. He did try to slither away. I had to, sort of pin him down, before I could slither away. When I put him back in the terrarium he slitered under the bedding like he always does. I'll take him out tonight and see that he's ok. I'll let you know how it goes.

5. LisaT

LisaT Member

Please do let me know. I am sure he is fine. He may look at you wierd next time you get him out like "don't let me fall again". Just kidding. I felt so bad when Jax fell that I swore she was thinking "oh no, here she comes, am I gona hit the floor again?" Lol Just give him a little extra lovin tonight.

6. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I am quite sure he is okay. It certainly is NOT something that should be done on a daily basis but they are hardy little guys and I THINK he was so light that very little if any damage was done. I would keep an eye on him and look for bruising since it is a snow, any dislocation would be very easy to see. The fact he did not bring his meal back up is a VERY good sign. Good luck and keep us posted.

7. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Sorry...dislocation should read DISCOLORATION!

8. CanadaDan1971

CanadaDan1971 Member

I took him out last night and he seemed the same as always. Maybe a little less squirmy now (a cat that jumps on a hot stove will never jump on a cold one).
    From now on I'm gonna try and take him out for a few minutes everyday so he'll get used to me and being picked up.

9. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Try not to handle him too much while he's digesting. Quickly moving from the feeding box is fine, but don't pick him up now that he's in his regular enclosure.

My snakes climb in their enclosures and fall all the time. All night long I hear loud "thumps". I think they are tougher than they look.
    The fact that he didn't regurgitate is a good sign. Just watch him and after about 3 days, you can pick him up and look for any "kinks" or "bumps" (swelling or indentations.)

Try not too worry... :)