This Disappears When Logged In

Dried Crickets

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by Cahal, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Cahal

Cahal Member

When I purchased my first gecko about a year ago, the kit came with a jar of dried crickets. Do ANY geckos eat these? I've tried several times to get either of my gecks to eat them but they just walk off and give me that "look".

Since I have this big jar of freeze dried crickets that nothing of mine will eat, what should I do with them? Throw them away? lol :confused:

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Toss them. They are useless in nutrition anyway. Kind of like if you tried to survive on just bread.

3. Cahal

Cahal Member

Thanks Liz :) I can't figure out why anybody would buy these??

4. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Well at first to some first time reptile owners that haven't researched well it seems like a better idea then a bunch of hopping crickets! I am sure though that part of it is the sales people when parents make the face of I have to buy what to feed this thing!!! And then then the sales person goes in for the pitch well you don't have to buy live crickets you can just buy these instead!

5. babaloo

babaloo Member

Most of what I have read shows me that hardly anyone's lizards (of any kind) like dead food (that was once alive). Animal instinct I guess, wanting to kill the food before they eat it. :p

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

some species of monitor will eat them. Otherwise, get yourself a fishing pole, and maybe you could catch dinner.

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Not true. Many lizards in captivity eat F/T rodents on a regular basis! However, they are heated up and often smell like rodents.

8. maryloo

maryloo Member

Well I don't know but hardly anyone's lizards I know will eat or budge with dead/dried food.

9. uniweb2

uniweb2 Active Member

yeah, they're pretty much useless I would toss them.

10. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

funny story, a friend of mine was crossing the NY/ canadian border into canada,she had frozen rats in a cooler to bring to a friend who didn't have the $$ to purchase them, when stopped at the border they searched her car, were unsure if she needed permits or whatever to bring them into canada(she didn't be cause they were dead and considered food) one of the guards said "well when they thaw out and come back to life, then what?" LMAO

maybe you can add water to the freeze dried crickets and they too shall pop back to life ?? hehehe

11. Jacqui

Jacqui Elite Member

*grabs a big bucket of ice cold water and throws it* Umm ops, guess I missed the dead crickets and got you instead.:eek: You know you did seem to come to life when that cold water splashed all over you. :p

12. jclee

jclee Active Member

I read of someone making his own pellet feed for axolotls, and the recipe included worms and crickets, thrown into a blender w/ a few choice other tasties. (Then squirted into pellet shapes to try and harden, then frozen.) That could be a use for them. I imagine you could also make your own similar pellets for ACFs or ADFs.

13. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Ahhh how very refreshing!! nothing like a lovely spot of ice water on a muggy hummid yucky hot day LOL