This Disappears When Logged In

Dragon In A New Tank Won't Eat

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Dragon Loving Misfit, Jan 2, 2018.

1. I have had my cwd for over 2 years. I just upgraded him to a 40 gallon tank and he's moving around being active as usual.
    Before moving him to a new tank I changed his diet from crickets to comet goldfish (which he loves) and he will only kill crickets if I put them in the tank, not eat them.
    When I upgraded him a week ago I put a single goldfish in there and he ate it happily. Then a couple days later I put two in there. He ate one and let the other die.
    I let him be for a couple days and last night tried to feed him again. He has not touched the fish and acts like they aren't even there.
    I'm super concerned because even though we've moved around a lot since I got him he's never had issues with eating.
    His color is great and he's still energetic but his belly is sunken.
    Any advice would be thoroughly appreciated! Thank you!!

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Goldfish are high in thiaminise which poisons reptiles and are not at all a good staple. Low in nutritional value as well.
    Are there any fruits or veggies in his diet?
    I would switch from goldfish to something else immediately. Crickets roaches mealworms waxworms and earthworms are all good choices. Gut loaded Crickets and dubia roaches make the best staple.
    Do you provide uvb?

Darkbird likes this.
  3. He won't eat fruits and veggies. He buries them. I had been given him loaded crickets and he started killing them for sport. He favors the fish. I haven't introduced worms yet but was considering it as an option. He definitely prefers hunting. And yes I have a uvb for him

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

My ever favourite topic.
    What are his bowel movements like?
    A reptile that isn't regular or has dark stools is likely dehydrated.

murrindindi likes this.
  5. They've been normal.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you put a few photos up of the whole enclosure and give details of the conditions (ambient and basking surface temps plus humidity range and how you measure those) and what size (fishtank?) have you been keeping the lizard in for the last two years?

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

It will start eating other things once you remove the goldfish from it's diet, which as was mentioned need to happen immediately. They can be used once in a while as a treat, but not all the time as a staple. Stay away from rosy reds for the same reason. As for getting a stubborn omnivore to eat it's veggies, all I ever have to do is simply not give them anything else until they take the greens. My bearded dragon is a great one for this, the turtles aren't as bad. Our animals are a lot like us in this, we'd like to eat cheese burgers and milkshakes all the time, but our parents (hopefully) taught us better. And we have to make our animals eat the diet they need rather than what they favor.
    And even though you haven't had issues before, the new cage could be causing issues, the lizard may just need some time to get used to it. A new acclimation period is not at all unusual for reptile placed in a new cage.