This Disappears When Logged In

Dollar Store Rocks

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by T-Rection, Jun 14, 2018.

1. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

I picked up a few bags of rocks from the dollar store and my plan was to add them to the bottom of my monitors water dish (both for looks but also to raise the water level a bit without using so much water as it is a pretty big plastic tub) but i ran into an issue, the rocks have a coating of wax over them which i didnt realize until i put them in the water bowl and they started dirtying up the water with the wax flaking off. I looked up how to take the coating off and most people say to boil the rocks over and over changing the water each time until the water stays clear. Thats what im doing right now but i just wanted to know if that will be safe to use once thats finished or should i just toss them. My problem is that i dont know anywere else that sells rocks without a coating like that..

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I wouldn`t use stones (or anything else) at the bottom of the water dish because they will collect waste.

T-Rection likes this.
  3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Add to that since there is no telling exactly what the coating is I would be concerned about chemicals leaching into the water. Garden shops usually have various sizes of natural round river rock if you are determined to use stones.

T-Rection likes this.
  4. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

yeah i agree, im just going to toss them and forget about using them all together, no point in risking it :)

Merlin likes this.