This Disappears When Logged In

Does The End Of My Iguanas Tail Look Fine

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Carlin Goodwin, Jul 1, 2017.

1. My iguana is about 3 1/2 years old and we have not had any kind of problems with her and I had just noticed some of the scales at the end of her tail look a little strange and i was wonder if any one could give some advice if it is something i should worry about or just ignore iAx7rNB.jpg 8vEeHwp.jpg

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, if you mean the very tip, it does look quite "blunt" as if a tiny portion had been broken off? I can see the lizard has some unshed skin on the tail, if you can very gently check the end portion to see if it`s just old skin then crop the photo to zoom right it might be easier to see.

3. Yay i thought the skin on the tail was just unsheded skin so i was going to try putting some vaselone on it to help it shed ( i heard about using vaseline online) she also gets a warm bath everyday but as far as the end of the tail goes im not sure if it is dead skin but here is a better picture 1tk5O12.jpg

4. Just for fun here is a pic of her :)
    (Its a 2month old pic)
    zPyeD8r.png

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the photos. I don`t see any evidence of necrotic tissue in the tip although it may have broken the last portion (not a serious problem) just keep an eye on it for the next few weeks..
    Juts for the sake of asking can you show a few photos of the whole enclosure and give details of the conditions. The iguana looks quite small for 3.5 years of age, if you are sure of gender, how many times has she been gravid?

6. Sorry my bad she is 3 years i mis counted the years but here is a pic of her current cage. I do have screen doors but i do have plexi glass to put over them in. The winter when the humidity is low (i live in nebtaska where the summers are horribly humid) but we are going to start building a new cage in a week that will be 3ft 4in long x 2.5ft wide x 6ft tall. I use calcium and multi vitamen regularly and i use a uvb light, basking light, and a ceramic heat lamp at night and during the winter
    We are pretty sur its a she and hasnt been gravid yet SvmKy8h.jpg

7. I just took this pic of her
    (She was a little grumpy when i took the photo)
    moZTNq8.jpg

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Do you have an accurate measurement of the snout to vent and total length, and can you tell me the brand and type of heat bulb and UVB bulb you`re using?
    How are you stabilising the temps and humidity with the wire front and (I`ll guess) screen top, and lastly, how long does the animal spend outside the enclosure each day?

9. She spends most of the day outside of her cage roaming our living room and my room the bulbs i believe are zoo med and i do need to get a gauge for humidity all i have been doing is misting at least twice a day i play on getting her a humidifyer and she is 34-36 inches
    I guess do you think she looks healthy?
    I know i need improve her cage a bit more but to me she seems like she has been doing well

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The best place for the iguana (in order to thrive) is inside a self contained environment where you can create supportive conditions at all times, unless your room/s closely resemble their natural environment (I`m guessing they don`t) you are putting the animal`s health at great risk by allowing free roaming to such an extent.
    I would think the reason for the relatively small size has something to do with the above.
    I would estimate that the SV (snout to vent length) would be around 25cm (10inches) or so just now, which means the lizard may already be sexually mature, if female you`ll need to provide a suitable nesting area, preferably at all times rather than just when gravid.
    It`s absolutely urgent you cover the screen as completely as possible to stabilise both temps and humidity, at the most the iguana could be allowed "outside" time for around 10 minutes, once the core body temp drops the immune system is compromised, that will lead to many health problems (they may not be obvious on the outside).
    Edit: You haven`t said what type and wattage the heat and UVB lights are?

11. My uvb is the zoomed iguana 5.0 and the heat lamp is either 100w or 150w (i cant find tge box but its one of those. I now have blankets covering her cage and the cage that i plan on build next week i think ill just use plexiglass and i didnt know i was putting my iguana at such a risk by leaving her out for so long . The only reason that i did that was because ever since she was little she has hated beimg in the cage so we would just let her out and she has become very socialized but now ill just be a little more mindful about her time outside of the cage
    Also her is a pic of her/his vent, because i just took a look at her vent last night and ot is way more developed now tgen it was a year ago when we took her to the vet to have "her" sexed and now i am thinking it might be a boy what do you think?
    Also what kind health problems could leaving her out for so long lead to and should i be worried about "her" releative size?
    eVXrgRm.jpg Mot0rLD.png

Kirzaka likes this.
  12. I also want to try getting a leash so i can take her outside sometime during the summer here we get days well into the 90s and the humidity can get to 80%

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I can`t see a linear fluorescent tube, just two bulbs in bulb holders, where is the 5-0 UVB?
    I cannot say whether you have a male or female but at 3+ years of age and 3 ft in length I would have expected the animal to have been gravid if female?
    When their core body temps fall even a few degrees below "activity" levels for an extended and regular period the immune system is compromised which can lead to a variety of health problems, as I said, the lizard may look healthy on the outside but we don`t know what`s happening internally. Allowing a tractable animal some "outside" time can be beneficial in terms of mental and physical exercise but always bear in mind how quickly they lose heat.

14. sorry in the pic of the cage if you look closely you can see tge fluorescent in the very back behimd the other two lights.
    But thank you for tge information and for your time and i will update you when i finish her new cage. But one last question, do you have any suggestions on what brand of fogger/humidifyer because i plan on adding one to her new cage?

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

O.k, if you have a UVB tube and it`s within range and functioning efficiently that`s fine. I can`t tell you brand names because I`m not in America but look on ebay for a humidifier. You`re welcome to the advise and yes, keep us updated!

16. Dunno if youll see this but i thought like an update. So after our conversation i took louie in for a check at our vet, who specializes in reptiles and he looked her over and saud she looked healthy and happy. We also bought some small pieces of plexiglass to cover up the majority of the doors on her cage while we worked on her new cage. Which is a simple woiden cage, we decided to paint it aswell. All the paints are zero voc water based acrylic and then sealed with a coat of a water based polycrylic, the corners are sealed with 100% silcon. We then gave that 2 weeks to completely air out and dry. We then made the doors out of plexiglass which so far im loving. All the wood is from cut down tree branches, which we baked the smaller braches to kill any bugs and unfornutely the large braches did have some ants living in it so we left it out in the sun for a bit but that didnt work so we than ran vinegar and water through the holes which did kill some of thebant but not all of them so we then set the holes in the wood over a fire which killed and flushed out the ants. So all the wood is bug free. We alsomade a holder for her food bowl so it isnt on the ground where she poops which is my favorite feature. Unfornetly when moving it into the house we were off by an inch so the cage was too big to fit in my room where her old cage was so she is now in the living roon which Is fine. She has only been in it for a day and is definetly stressed out because of the new cage and the locaton of the cage so she does show so
    E signs of aggression while in the cage but once she is out she is back to her nice attitude. That is something we also changed which is she only gets about 30mins a day out of the cage and a warm bath. I forgot to also mention tgat we have temp and humiditygauges coming in the mail. We spray the cage twice a day and her basking spot is sittingaround 93 during the day and about 80ish at night i think. But so far so good she is happyand doing well and thanks for the advice :)

Attached Files:

TamJam likes this.
  17. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

I am glad Murrindindi is helping you - you have got great advice!

I think her cage looks nice. Quite a lot of effort you have put into making her comfortable.
    My iguanas have big plastic baby bath tubs that they can, and do, soak in. The big tub of water increases the humidity in the enclosure and allows them to live more naturally. In the wild, green iguanas swim very well, even underwater like crocodiles, and they often dive into the river to escape predators.
    If you decide to put a large tub of water in the bottom of the enclosure, just make sure it is shallow enough that she can easily come out of it when she is ready. You will have to change the water every day, as she may also use it as her pooping spot, if she likes it enough in there!:D

Kirzaka likes this.