This Disappears When Logged In

Does Anyone Use Dry Food?

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by CryHavoc17, Sep 30, 2013.

1. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

I'm just wondering if anybody here uses any dry food as a supplimental food source/ variety. Otis is doing well on his current diet, but I think some more variety would do him well. Does anyone use the dry iguana foods? I'm looking at a couple of them (mazuri iguana food looks like a decent option). I'm thinking this would make up no more then 10-15% of his daily food intake when I chose to feed it to him. Should I even bother?

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

A few owners use they dry pellets. Mazuri is a good option but merlin once stated that there was a better brand...I dont remember the name of it though. Myabe he will see this thread and comment.

3. ArmyMedic

ArmyMedic Well-Known Member

Ive looked at the ingridents for all the Mazuri products and they all say meal...and i remember when i was selling dog food at a local petstore meal=cheap you always wanted it to say "Chicken" or "Fish" not chicken meal and fish meal...what do you guys think about meal products?

4. ArmyMedic

o and Poultry by-product meal...i personaly wouldnt feed any animal of mine by-product :/ but thats in the croc bag...

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

by-product just means the organs, and bones that they cant use for other things (human sonsumption usually)-these are the bits that are healthiest for the animals anyways.
    I am not sure what the meal would be.

I personally love Mazuri products and feed them to my Torts and Beardies. The vast majority of Tortoise keepers and breeders all use Mazuri. As do alot of zoos (not that they are the greatest standard to go by the animals fair well on these diets as long as its only part of it)

6. ArmyMedic

even tho there are so much fillers in there as well? like corn n weat, flour?

and yeah i was wrong about the By-products..i was always told by product was bad :/ lol guess i was wrong :)

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yes. It is one of the healthiest dry foods out their for tortoises (i dont know about other species as I havent researched it in depth like i have for torts) and the fillers wont hurt them at all. And the percentage of fillers is very small compared to the actual good foods so it is fine IMO.
    This isnt something I would use for a carnivourous species but for herbivores and omnivores it is a good product that is both healthy and cost efficient.

8. Majora

Majora Elite Member

When it comes to dog/cat foods meals are not bad and depending on where in the ingredient list they are they can actually be better than whole meat (ingredients are listed by weight before they're put into the food - meals are just rendered meat with the water removed, whereas whole meat is mostly water weight). So if a food has a meat meal as the first ingredient, the food is probably getting more of it's protein from the meat meal than the other ingredients (ex, corn, peas, etc). If whole meat is the first ingredient that could mean the food is drawing more of it's protein from the next ingredients in the list since whole meat has a lot of water. It's not always true but generally meals are fine if not better than whole meats. By-products are okay as long as they are named (chicken by-product, beef by-product). If they don't have a named source you really don't know what's in it. At least with named sources you know what animal it was once a part of. Lol.

I have heard from a lot of keepers and even my old vet that Mazuri is a good brand but I've never used it. I was also turned off by corn/wheat/etc being in it, I guess after being so thorough with my cat's food I'm conditioned to reject anything with those ingredients lol. I will have to look more into it.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I am not familiar with the Mazuri food but many use the RepCal Iguana food as a supplement. If using dry food be sure and soak them in water first. Feeding the dry pellets can contribute to dehydration.

10. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

I think I'm going to give the mazuri a try, it will replace the ground alfalfa tablets as my alfalfa based protien supplement in Otis' diet. I like the idea of a little bit of added veggie based protein, and it seems like the mazuri has some nice vitamin and mineral content that I dont get with alfalfa alone. At least until my ig garden starts producing, then ill probably just go to fresh mature alfalfa.

11. Salazare Slytherin

Salazare Slytherin Elite Member

No we don't feed it at all here.
    Far to many question marks surrounding them, and a few tests have revealed great conflictions in nutrient intakes in the same animals, same enviroments, and fed the same quantities, I would avoid them where possible.