This Disappears When Logged In

Does Anyone Know a Good Replacement for Moss Thats Not Moss.

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by cicero, Sep 2, 2013.

1. cicero

cicero Member

Im looking for a replacement plant that spreads well and is not toxic to Chinese water dragons. thanks for the help guys.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Look into creeping fig, ficus pumila. It is small leaved and tough.

3. cicero

cicero Member

Thanks merlin, do you know how fast it grows?

Its toxic to a big degree...

Some people say its good but a lot of people say it kills the other plants in your tank and can be toxic to your reptile if it's swallowed. Do you know anything else? Maybe something that could hang down over a ledge to reach a water source.

4. Merlin

Interesting. Since it actually produces an edible fruit.
    Climbing Fig, Creeping Fig | Eat The Weeds and other things, too
    I have seen it in zoos, in buildings which were free flying aviaries as well as housing other free roaming animals. The plant was growing everywhere. I would think that if there was a serious concern I would not think that it would have been there.

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Creeping fig isnt dangerous. I used to have it in a tortoise enclosure and he nibbled on it quite a bit. He never showed any signs of illness. But you can use ivy or pothos-both are a vine that will spread easily.
    Also google airplants if you want something you dont really have to water. Or bromelaids (they dont spread but most are reptile safe) lllreptile.com has a wide variety or reptile plants if you want verified reptile safe.
    Orchids are also pretty and can survive a cwd cage if they arent in reach of the dragon.

Also keep in mind that cwds dont really eat plants. Atleast I have never had one that did and I have housed dozens.

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

if you want ground coverage: grass.

7. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

So pothos is okay to use in reptile tanks? I love pothos vines.

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

As far as I know it is fine. Lots of people use it in tanks.

9. cicero

cicero Member

Weird I keep finding Websites that give me a lot of bull on this plant, they all said it was invasive and can kill the other plants in your vivarium. Well I don't know much on plants, i'm more of a bug person. Anyways do you know a good grass thalatte? Oh and Merlin thanks for helping me clear some stuff up.

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Fine fescue is a soft but fast spreading grass.

11. Merlin

That is one of the problems with the internet. Someone posts info on their page. Then someone else copies and pastes it. And someone else also copies and pastes it. And before you know it, it is spread all over as gospel.
    Creeping ficus does spread. In fact any of the vining plants will and will climb up other plants. If allowed to grow heavy enough it can choke out other plants. But a sharp pair of scissors cures that pretty easily.