This Disappears When Logged In

Do Fat-Tailed Geckos Need Light?

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by Figs, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Figs

Figs Member

It's just that a few years ago my friend bought two of them from a shop called 'snakebite' (which has closed down now, thank god)
    It just seemed strange to me that they had like 4 or 5 large geckos kept in boxes. Which the only thing I can compare them to is strawberry boxes.

But anyway - she bought 2 of them and they started to lay eggs. They are in a nice plastic viv with the heat mat and everything, but she doesn't dust the crickets and they don't have a basking light.
    Now, I'm not sure on this, but I thought most reptiles needed a basking light??

She wanted to sell them as well, but the pet shop said they weren't in high demand and so wouldn't take them. Should I buy them off her?
    It just doesn't seem they are being taken care of very well :(

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

They should have basking light and proper temps. Does she have a thermometer in there to see if they are warm enough? They should also have a 12 on and 12 off day/night light cycle.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

AFT are nocturnal but they still do need light.
    The purpose of the basking light is to create different temperatures within the enclosure. They need a warmer area to increase their metabolism for digesting food. As well a cooler area to cool down when their body temp gets too high.
    It does sound like she has a very basic setup and wasn't schooled properly in their care.

4. Figs

Figs Member

Yesum, she has a thermometer (don't know what temp its at though) and a humidity box thing, for shedding. Just no light source at all.

5. schlegelbagel

Just think about how crazy people in Alaska go when its dark out all the time for a few weeks. Light cycles are important.

Here is a copy of our care sheet. Maybe print it out for her and highlight the important parts. I did that for a friend with his turtles and wouldn't you know, 2 weeks later they had a new, and very large home instead of that 40 gallon tank.

http://www.herpcenter.com/african-fat-tailed-gecko-caresheet.html

6. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Aside from using a light to create basking areas and varying temperature ranges, light is also important for maintaining a steady photoperiod (day/night cycle of light and dark) so that they can tell when it's "day" and when it's not.

7. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

I have to partly disagree with some of the previous post, as well light is important, proper temps are more the concern with the set up stated.

So long the heat mat provides the proper temp range. Most night-active reptiles can be kept in a well-lit room and have a proper photoperiod.

All my corns in my reptile room have no heating and no light elements in their cage, with the room being heated (most the year) it would just get much too hot for them. The light from the window leaves a natural phtotoperiod year round. My really warm and UV loving herps have an extra light in their cage, but as long as they have proper temps and a day/night cycle I wouldn't be too concerned.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. As long as the boxes are transparent or translucent, the room light is fine as long as the temperatures are correct. Many keepers have their animals in sterilites in racks and the only lighting is what comes thru the front of the boxes.
    Now if the boxes are opaque and do not allow light in at all, thats different.

9. Figs

Figs Member

[​IMG]

It's this one and it's kept on the floor in her bedroom.

10. schlegelbagel

Yes, as long as that is in a room that gets natural daylight, then no additional lights are needed, as long as the proper temps are maintained.

11. Figs

Figs Member

ok then cool :)

i just wanted to know just incase haha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.