This Disappears When Logged In

Distilled Water?

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by Amadeous, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Amadeous

Amadeous Elite Member

Does anyone use distilled water for their Chams? is there a big difference or should you not use distilled water?

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Distilled water bring NOTHING to the party, it's just H20. People don't think about it but water carries many nutrients and minerals in it that help water do it's thing. Now in many set ups we have misters... hard truth is that they clog up fast on anything NOT distilled run through it. So I'd keep the mister with distilled and use a hand sprayer with R/O (Reverse Osmosis) water. This way the reptiles are getting livable water and the mister doesn't clog up faster than you can spit...

3. Amadeous

Amadeous Elite Member

I just got a mister and I have been using regular tap water so far . How hard is it to clean out your mister if you don't use distilled water ?

4. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

i would rather spend the money on distilled water, than have to clean or worry that the scale built up so much that it stopped working. $1 a gallon or have to replace the mister or worse having a snake (cham in your case) get an RI or die from humidity issues

5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Best to get the distilled for the mister, a lot cheaper in the long run. Best case scenario is the mister crashes and needs replaced... we all know the worst case ...

6. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I can see using distilled water for mister but chams should have a drip system anyway. I've always used the same filtered water I use for myself and my kid for my animals.

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Totally agree. Distilled water is great for misters but not good for drinking.
    Humans shouldn't even drink it as a main source.

8. Amadeous

Amadeous Elite Member

So i started running distilled threw the mister and im going to run regular water threw a spray bottle. Well see how it goes :)

9. Amadeous

Amadeous Elite Member

Would there be any difference if you ran R/O water threw your mister? would it still clog it up over time?

10. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Yes but not as fast as tap. R/O still has quite a bit of dissolved solids in the mix so it still works well for drinking and living on.

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Most systems are easy enough to unclog as you just soak them in vinegar and the vinegar will break down the mineral deposits and its good as new.

12. Amadeous

Amadeous Elite Member

I was wondering if vinegar would work. Thats what i use on the coffee maker for the same clogs so i figured it should do the same thing. Just wasnt sure if there was anything to do with heating situation the coffee maker provides. Im still going to run distilled water threw the mister for now, and spray with regular tap water. If i notice anything changing with my cham ("Sobe" finally decided a name :)) then ill change back

13. NorCal55

NorCal55 Member

Hi, I have been using an RO/DI setup with my mist system and fill my drippers with the water as well. I've been doing this for several years on 15+ cages and it has worked fantastic.