This Disappears When Logged In

Disinfecting Driftwood??

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by lizardhoarder139, Oct 7, 2014.

1. lizardhoarder139

lizardhoarder139 Elite Member

Hi guys, I wasn't sure where to put it so I put it on here.
    I have been building a huge cage for my dumerils monitor. It's finally almost done and I wanted to put some wood in there for her to climb on.
    I have found some beautiful pieces around me but am very worried about mites and other things, and I dont want to spend hundreds of dollars on just wood. So I ask you, is there a way I can disinfect it?? Make sure mites and other critters are killed off before they are exposed to the new cage?? Thank you!

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Now this is jist me, but I generally don't do squat when I get wood from outside to use other than to leave it in the sun for a few days to dry a bit. I also don't use wood that has been lying on the ground and is beginning to rot. Never had any issues with mites or anything else in years of doing this. And there's not much alternative for large pieces anyway. You can bake those that will fit in the oven, or soak them in a weak bleach solution for a day if you have a big enough container.

3. lizardhoarder139

Thanks!!! that makes me feel a lot better lol. I've been rinsing them off with the hose just to get all the bugs off and have boiling the small pieces, but some of these pieces are 8 feet long!! like what am i supposed to do with that! :O

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! When I was building my large iguana cage I had several large branches. I took them into the bathtub with a scrub brush and scrubbed them down.
    Much to the entertainment of my wife!

5. lizardhoarder139

Haha :) yea I let the small pieces soak in the tub, now I have to go clean the tub before I get caught ;) hehe

6. robinsonfam1

robinsonfam1 Member

you can cut the larger branches down to bake them, then drill and use a dowel to reattach the sections back together. yes you will probably see the saw cuts but they can be well camouflaged with decor.

im about to do the same thing myself

7. lizardhoarder139

That's a good idea!! :) I thought of that, but decided to just scrub the heck out of them lol and rinse them really well.

8. lisas

lisas Elite Member

I do nothing with them and use bioactive substrate. You can google this to learn about it.

9. lizardhoarder139

I have heard a lot of this bioactive substrate, I'm going to have to look it up for my future savannah. Thanks!

10. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

I would not suggest cutting down longer branches intended for big cages housing large lizards. You are not going to get the same strength of support no matter how many dowel pins you use to reassemble it. You might be able to get away with that for pieces that will only span a couple feet or so, but anything longer will eventually sag and/or break if it has to support any significant weight.

11. lizardhoarder139

Yea that's true. I thought about that.

12. robinsonfam1

robinsonfam1 Member

true if you are only using a small little dowel and no glue. for something like this id use an actual dowel rod and cut it to length. drill about 4" deep into the branch both sides and then insert it with glue. you can even use aluminum rod, easy to cut an even stronger, about the same price too. if you really want to push yourself then use all thread rod and screw them together. easier to take down if you need to in the future too.
    if sagging is the worry then the branch itself would be the problem. the branch has to be large enough to support the critter no matter what obviously. also the length you cut it to will be of question. if you need a 6' long branch then yes you will have a hard time if you're cutting it down to a bunch of 18" pcs. the longer the sections the stronger it will be.
    maybe the size of a "large" branch is the difference too. im planning on doing this with 3"+ driftwood. plenty of it laying around where i live. ill be posting pics of our CWD build once we get more completed.
    i have done this type of thing so many times in 20 yrs of custom cabinets/building/reef aquariums etc i have a bunch of ideas for decor being our first reptile cage build out.

13. lizardhoarder139

Good point! And awesome ideas, I will definitely keep that in mind if I ever go that route. Thanks!

I just decided to scrub them and hose them down multiple times. Then I boiled a lot of hot water and poured it over the branches.
    Seemed to work good, I could not find anymore bugs or anything :)

14. robinsonfam1

robinsonfam1 Member

if you have a big freezer you could freeze them too. maybe thats what ill do since i can fit 5' pcs in there!

15. lizardhoarder139

That's true!!! I don't tho :( I'm going to need to get one tho soon for all my feeders lol

16. CrestedGecko21

CrestedGecko21 Active Member

I have two aquariums with various sizes of driftwood in them. For fish tanks, it is recommended that you boil the driftwood to remove the tannin's and any other potential organism that may be living in there. If the piece is too large, the alternative to boiling is baking. You could always try to "bake" the piece on a large grill if your oven is too small. If using this method, be sure to attend to the driftwood to ensure it is not scorching or starting to burn.