This Disappears When Logged In

disease?

Discussion in 'Salamanders & Newts' started by Ssativa, Dec 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ssativa

Ssativa Subscribed User Premium Member

One of my newts had a few toes missing when I got it and it seems to be getting worse. Now he almost has no front feet at all! Is this part of the healing process or does he have some sort of flesh eating disease? He seems active and alert as usual, but I'm worried. Is there something that I can apply topically to the wound to help? :confused:

2. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Well, he can survive and regenerate lost toes, but when they all start going like that, its not good. There aren't many treatments for amphibians out there due to the fact that they A: live in water, so it washes off, and B: will absorb some of it directly through their skin. Are his toe stubs all white? He could have an out of control fungal infection, something all too common in FBNs. How warm is the water temp? If its 70 or above, yeah, that will definately help the infection spread. A very weak solution of water and malachite green might help if it is an infection. Hydrogen peroxide will also help keep it clean. This thread may help you find possible solutions to your problem:

http://www.herpcenter.com/showthread.php?t=1101&page=1&pp=10

3. Ssativa

Yes, his toes are/were all white now what is left is red.

I originally isolated him because he was aggressive to the others, but now the others are big and strong and knowing that high temps would worsen his condition I decided to move him out of the larger aquarium and back into the smaller one with the other newts.

I've found easier to keep smaller aquarium cool (around 65 degrees). I know that I am taking a risk of spreading a fungus or whatever it is to my healthy newts, but I couldn't leave him in that other tank getting worse and worse.

He has been spending his time out of the water on a piece of cork.

I will check that link. Thanks ;)

4. Ssativa

I got the malchite green. I hope it works.

5. Ssativa

Dosing ????

The medicine I got is really made as an ick cure for fish. It contains something called Formaln and Malachite Green.It says to use one drop per gallon daily. Do you think my newt would require a higher dose than this? I've been following the instructions as the bottle indicates for fish, but my newt doesn't seem to be getting better or worse.

6. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Hmm, I dunno if it'll work or not if its made to cure ick. Well, you're not going to find a remedy made for amphs though, fish meds are usually what's used in cases like this. I wouldn't boost the dose though. Being able to absorb the liquid directly into his skin makes him more at risk from the meds than a fish would be. What's the % of malachite green in the meds? The only remedy I know of that involves malachite green involves 100% malachite green, but then its diluted with water. I'm not saying the meds you have can't help him, but I just don't know what sort of dose to treat him with unless you have pure malachite green.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.