This Disappears When Logged In

Digging?

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Ultima78, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Ultima78

Ultima78 Elite Member

I have owned my water dragon Zeus for 2 months.

Enclosure is 36x18x24.

Coconut chips to keep humidity.

UVB and basking light. Temp is 90 at basking spot, 84 at warm side, 81 at cool side, humidity always at 75-77. I feed Zeus mealworms, red wrigglers, fruit, and fish.

Problem is everytime I go to school and come back, I see bark in the water, and in other places like plants. Then i find him digging. As soon as I handle him and let him roam(dragonproofed) he stops for the whole day. Then it starts again when I go to school. How do I prevent it? Also, he or she is only a foot long.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, you could try raising the water container, then have a firmly fixed stout branch or ramp leading up to it, that way he/she won`t drag substrate into it.
    They are known to do it deliberately just to annoy their owners... ;)

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

You could always remove the bark, this would also stop him from getting substrate in his eyes. How are you measuring your humidity and is the enclosure wood, glass or mesh?

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

A lot of times it's a sign that they are bored with an enclosure that is too small for them-which would explain why he stops after exercising out if the cage.
    Or he could just be digging for fun. Tai likes to dig and always has dirt and junk in his pond.

5. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

He's trying to dig his way out. Try adding some earthworms that will give him something to do when he's digging :)

6. Ultima78

Ultima78 Elite Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys.