This Disappears When Logged In

Digestion Rate Of Gopher Snake???

Discussion in 'Pituophis (Pines, Bulls, Gophers)' started by Pituophis, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Pituophis

Pituophis Active Member

Hi there,

First off I guess Introduce myself as I'm new here. I am from Thunder Bay Canada and just getting into the reptile hobby with just a modest collection of snakes at the moment!

My question is, I have a Sonoran Gopher snake about 3 months old, and almost decidedly female; she seems to have a much faster digestion rate than my corn when at a similar age... I tried bumping up her meal size a bit to a point I would think is quite big for a corn of same weight. However on average she defecates 30-40 hrs after her feeding and is extremely mobile again where is it seems the corns take maybe an extra day to get down a big meal.... Just in my limited experience of course...

Her cage conditions are pretty ideal @ 40-50% humidity, 83F on her warm side and 72 on cool side... So maybe this snake is just a hungry little one!

I've heard Bull Snakes were basically garbage disposals and its starting to look like she's the same haha

Thanks,

look forward to hearing your opinions!!

2. Pituophis

Pituophis Active Member

Just a little update this little girl has just got through her first month with me and has nearly doubled in size... She came to me at 48 grams and she weighed 88 last night after I cleaned some scat out of her cage. Wow these snakes grow fast, she is going to be a big gopher/bull snake.

3. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

I acquired my first pit about 1.5 yrs ago. Just a non specific locality normal bull, and my experience is the same. They seem to have very high metabolisms compared to other snakes. He was only 18 in when I first got him, and he's now about four feet and 994 grams. Definitely a fast grower.

4. Pituophis

Pituophis Active Member

Got any pics of the bull throughout the first year?? curious to see the transformation haha they really do grow like crazy compared to even my jungle

5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Full grown specimens I have come across (7ft range and up to 4" side to side) had an amazing amount of food in them (puked after rescue) one with 7 baby puppies and a bit of blanket. That and being a female colubrid... well I've never had one refuse a meal.

6. Pituophis

Pituophis Active Member

Just an update , have the gopher switched onto rats now and have been tracking all meal sizes and weights etc since I got her, it will be interesting to see the change in growth rate over time I think. I saw one about a ball python once who grew over 100g more over 4 month span when on rats vs mice from young age, so guess we will see