This Disappears When Logged In

Different Localities Compatable?

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by Lazulimoon, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Lazulimoon

Lazulimoon Member

I have a female Applegate albino Gopher (San Diego) that I'm looking to breed her and I have the opportunity to get a normal Sororan Gopher male.
    Would these snake be Compatable, considering their different range?
    I know the San Diego is Pituophis catenifer catenifer
    And the Sororan is Pituophis catenifer affinis.

localities in all snakes are something I'm still trying to figureboutbso any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

For breeding ability regional differences matter very little, in fact it may even be encouraged in wild populations for a stronger bloodline.

In captivity and where regional bloodlines can draw a premium, mixing them will only muddy the bloodlines, again for a stronger animal but less variety specific.

On another note that is also how varietal breeders come up with different patterns and such.

Personally, anything that strengthens a bloodline is good breeding. Inbreeding to get rare colors or patterns only weaken the lines.

3. Lazulimoon

Lazulimoon Member

Thank you for the response!
    I always got mixed views in my search when some people wanted the bloodlines to be pure and others say it doesn't matter.
    In your opinion, would these two snakes make a good pair?
    It's been difficult trying to find the San Diego variety, when I found out about Sororan here locally I didn't want to pass it up.
    I guess it wouldn't hurt to see what these two snakes together have to offer in their offspring!
    Thanks again for taking the time to explain a bit, it helps a lot.

4. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

The only real problem I see with crossing is when people try to pass the offspring off as anything other than what they really are. Hybrids are usually stronger than line-bred animals, but some people see "mutts" as being less desirable or valuable than purebred animals.

5. Lazulimoon

Lazulimoon Member

I can see that, I know a lot of people out there are against Hybrids, but I see nothing wrong with it in the end. I'll most likely get another Applegate Albino for my female to keep the bloodlines pure as well as crossing the Sororan with her. Thanks for the info!

6. toddnbecka

Crossing localities/subspecies isn't the same as producing hybrids, those are actually a cross between different species. Among boa constrictors there are 2 different albino lines, and breeding hets from both lines together won't produce any albino offspring because the genes are different in each line.

7. Lazulimoon

Lazulimoon Member

Oh! I got it now, thanks for explaining.
    so it's pretty much the same in other snakes for albinism.
    So basically if I bred the Sororan with my Albino they would be normal looking babies?
    If I were to breed an albino Sororan to the Applegate Albino would those babies come out normal as well?
    Sorry for the questions! I'm still trying to figure things like this out.

8. toddnbecka

Breeding an albino with a normal will produce normal looking offspring that are het for albino. Breeding two hets together will produce some albino, some het, and some normal offspring. There are genetics calculators online that will show you the actual ratios, I'm not familiar with them beyond the basics.
    No clue whether the Applegate line is the same albino gene as the Sonoran, you'd have to ask someone who has bred those to be sure.

9. Lazulimoon

Lazulimoon Member

Okay will do, thanks again!