This Disappears When Logged In

Difference Between Redtail and Rainbow

Discussion in 'Solomon Island Boas' started by Uamenti09, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Uamenti09

Uamenti09 Elite Member

What's the difference in the care of a rainbow boa and the redtail?

2. Parkerwall

Parkerwall Active Member

they are really alike but rainbow boas tend to be a little bit smaller than say a columbian red tail, and also rainbow boas need a little bit higher humidity but these are very closely related

3. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

The rainbows also don't need as much heat. Rainbows are a much more slender snake than red tails.
    Gary

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And rainbows tend to be a bit more high strung and prone to bite.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

BRB are smaller and slimmer than Common Boas, but just as tenacious when it comes to holding on to things you want them off of.

As to high-strung, I have heard from people who have BRB that are as docile as the average BP, and I have heard from people who have one that likes to bite frequently and can hardly be handled. Mine is right in the middle. She will bite, but usually for a reason - like when I was trying to get her out of the hiding spot she found when she escaped her cage once. In general, I would not say they are as laid-back as a BP, but I would not describe mine as nippy either. But, as said, they vary on an individual basis.

Ambient temp should be 80, with a basking temp no higher than 90, and 60-80% humid (75% is a good target). Mine has been a great eater for me, took F/T from the get-go.

6. Uamenti09

Uamenti09 Elite Member

Sounds fairly easy, figuring of getting a baby one. any good enclosures, one for a small then I want to see on for the large

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

If you needed to rehome your Thai Beauty Snake, you might want to rethink getting a BRB. Their heating/humid requirements can be a bit of a trial, and it will need more space than a Thai Beauty snake. Feeding would be about the same - it won't be cheaper no matter how you look at it.

Be that as it may, I made what I consider to be a pretty decent BRB cage out of an old cabinet, some Great Stuff (Wal*Mart has it down to $2.77 a can now!) and some fake plants. It's approximately 2x2x3, and holds the heat and humid well because it's well-insulated wood.

You can view the construction thread here: http://www.herpcenter.com/general-construction/24133-completion-last-3.html