This Disappears When Logged In

Did Waldo Shed?

Discussion in 'Milksnakes' started by aromatherapykim, Feb 21, 2014.

1. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

My hondurian milk snake is about 3 1/2 feet. I just got him about a month ago. He got super dull like he was going to shed about 2 weeks ago. Then his eyes cleared up then he seemed to get brighter. Today he seemed super shiny. But I see no skin! He hangs out under the water bowl, but It's not under there. He does have a few underground tunnels, should I check there?
    He was really ****y when he was dull so I'm afraid to handle him still?

2. aromatherapykim

First picture is how he normally look
    Second was when he was dull
    Third was today

Attached Files:

3. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

After they get dull and "blue", snakes will clear up and look almost normal before actually shedding. This can be deceiving, but it's a perfectly normal process. The clear period lasts about 2-3 days and the actual shed happens right afterwards. If there's no skin, it means he hasn't shed and is going through the clear phase. A few more days and he will, don't worry. You will see the difference, he will look even brighter with his new skin:) Up his humidity now and you should have a perfect shed.

4. aromatherapykim

Haha so funny right while I was posting this I sprayed his tank to up humidity and not an hour later I looked over and got to watch him shed. It had some pieces to it but I figure that keeping the humidity higher will fix that next time. My big boy is happy and healthy again.
    Will it be okay for me to hold him today?
    I know it should a horrible but after he struck at my boyfriend while he was walking by the tank last week in a little leery to stick my hand in

5. lisas

lisas Elite Member

The same exact confusion happened to me. There is a thread about it in the corn snake section. I watched mine shed too.

6. Majora

Majora Elite Member

If you're nervous about reaching in you could always pick up a small snake hook. My corn snake (who is a very eager eater and a heavy sleeper) has nipped me a couple of times when he was buried in the bedding and I reached my hand in and woke him up suddenly. I don't think he was scared as much as he thought I could be food. He's really only just scratched me with a tooth at most before he realizes it's my hand and stops, but I got a hook to make things easier. I rub him gently with it to wake him up if he's sleeping, and any time he sees the hook he knows there's no chance of food so he's fine. When he's out of the cage he's as docile as ever.

And yes it should be ok to hold him now that he's finished shedding. Feel free to check out that shiny new skin. Lol

7. aromatherapykim

great I plan to get him out tonight. he's pretty skittish and quick. I have a snake hook but any time I touch him with the hook or my hand he often darts off into his hide.