This Disappears When Logged In

Dichondra Falls Vivarium Safe?

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by Falkor, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Falkor

Falkor Member

Hi,

I wanted to know if the Dichondra Falls (Silver Falls) is safe for reptiles... I currently have a Yucca Tree, and some Sun-Patiens planted in Sebastian's viv, but looking for a vine-like, or "Falls" plant to cover the background. I also have a Golden Pothos that I was going to plant, but it needs low(er) light conditions.

Here is a pic of Sebastian's current Planted Setup.
    DSC04986.jpg

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I wouldn't.
    Is Dichondra Micrantha Toxic to Animals? | Home Guides | SF Gate

3. Falkor

Falkor Member

Ok, thanks...! Do you know of any other Reptile Safe Plant that is similar... a Vine, or Trailing plant...?

4. Merlin

Pothos is commonly used. You could also look into ficus pumilia (creeping fig)

5. Falkor

Falkor Member

I got some Pothos, but the care card says to plant in Shade conditions... and my back wall is very bright, and hot...

6. Falkor

Falkor Member

The Creeping Fig looks nice... I may have to try that... I hope its something thats easy to grow, because Im not the best at keeping plants alive...lol

Thanks!

7. Merlin

I have had pothos grow outside, in the sun, and here in Oklahoma that sun can get pretty intense.
    I highly doubt that the inside of your viv will be too bright. Too hot maybe.

8. Poison

Poison Elite Member

Merlin, that is interesting. I've been trying to grow pothos outside for years now with no success. Even in the shade but once we have a hot week, the plant is a goner.

- - - Updated - - -

Falkor, are you interested in purchasing plants online? I would suggest Hedera helix. I'm using it in my frog cages.

9. Falkor

Falkor Member

Poison, are Ivy's Safe...??? I thought I read somewhere that they aren't safe for reptiles...
    I could be wrong, but Im sure I read that somewhere...