This Disappears When Logged In

Designing an Enclosure for 2 Blue Tongue Skinks

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Bennett, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bennett

Bennett Member

As the name says, I need help designing an enclosure for 2 blue tongue skinks. I have never tried building an enclosure before so I really have no idea what I'm doing. Right now I have only one blue tongue skink but I'm hoping to get another very soon. First I need to know what size would be best for two of them? And because I'm on a tiny little budget, I think (or hope..) building one will be cheaper. I really don't know what I'm doing, so I could use a lot of help :) especially on things like materials and cost.

2. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

Re: Designing an Enclosure for 2 Blue Tongue Skink

If I'm not mistaken I believe The bare minimum for one BTS is a 40 Gallon breeder tank.

I would say from that, For two it should be no less than 4' x 2'
    larger would be nice for them, especially floorspace, but with a bit of creativity you could make a really great wooden enclosure for less than $200 all construction included.

About what type of budget are you on? With that we could give you a better idea of what plans would be best.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

When on a tight budget it's a good idea to look around at thrift stores, garage sales or renovation stores. You could find an old pc of furniture to turn into an enclosure.
    Modified carcasses of projection tvs work great.

4. Bennett

Bennett Member

Well my budget sadly is about as cheep as i can get without having a cage that is too small for the pair. After all, supplying them with a bigger cage is the whole goal. There is no actual set budget, but because I really don't have the money to throw around and no real way of getting more, it has to be low. I'm not sure of the design, but I've seen them made out of almost all wood (back, bottom and sides) then the front being glass and the top could be mesh? just an idea..
    kriminaal can you send me some photo's of tanks made out of other objects? (like the tv)

5. kriminaal

I searched for a bit, but couldn't find the thread I was looking for.
    I know we have a member who had a thread on this topic somewhere.

6. Bennett

Bennett Member

Okay well if I did in the end decide to go with all wood, how do you go about putting it together? Like attaching the wood and putting in the glass.

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Make a frame out of 2 x 4s and then attach the plywood to the sides. Then you can cut out circles for the lights/heat elements. For the front, you can use plexiglass, and set it in a slider tract.

8. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

If you are just looking for something simple, get some 2x4's cut to the length you want it. Then take the height what you want the enclosure and subtract the width of the 2x4. (either 1.5 or 3.5 inches depending on how you want to lay the 2x4) Repeat for the width of the tank. Screw them all together and then attach plywood to fit.

The front you can do a few different ways. You can make a door that swings open or a sliding glass door. You have to decide what you want. The final size of your tank may influence this...

9. fire2225ems

10. fire2225ems

Another thing that you should keep in mind is that if you do get a second BTS, even with a large cage, they might have territorial or dominance issues. So be prepared that you might have to separate them into 2 separate enclosures at a later date....

11. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I would VERY STRONGLY advise against housing two blueys together. When I recieved mine I was told they were 'friends' and 'needed' to be housed together. In reality they were both covered with wounds and missing toes from fighting. I set them up in two separate enclosures that were made from the same dresser. It was dubbed 'the duplex'.

If you want to house them together you will need a massive enclosure set up with double the hides, feeding areas and basking spots, or if you wanted to take a safer route you could build two enclosures together and not need nearly as much space.

12. kriminaal

That is the one, thanks Shell.
    They go into more detail and what not then you really would have to.

13. Bennett

Bennett Member

I was under the impression that a male and female Blue Tongue skink were very tolerant of each other? Do most blueys get along?

14. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

Bluey's may or may not get along. I would suggest not keeping them together just in case they don't.

You should hop over to bluetongueskinks.net. There is an excellent forum there dedicated to blueys and tons of bluey fanatics(like myself) who can point you into a better direction on how to go about this.

I also suggest you read his care sheet.

15. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

If you really are on that much of a budget, I'd suggest not getting another BTS.
    Make a great enclosure for your current blue, And then down the road when your budget has "loosened" up a bit, Debate building another complete enclosure for a second one.

16. untsmurf

untsmurf Elite Member

I agree. Do not house them together. Build up a better enclosure for the one you have and save up, make another good enclosure, then get the second one.

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Add me to the list. Blueys are solitary animals by nature and neither desire, nor need, a "companion". People seem insistent on placing personality attributes on reptiles that just are not there. They do not need a friend!

Granted some people have successfully housed a pair together, usually in a very large and well planned out cage, but far more have found to their dismay that the animals were quite violent with each other. Since BTS have jaws adapted to crushing snail shells, they can do some serious damage to each other.

And since you are talking about having financial difficulty in regard to building a single enclosure, what are you going to do if you have to separate them and end up having to have two cages?
    I'd stick with one for now! Both you and the skink will be happier!

18. Moshpitrockchick

Mine were a male / female pair and still could not be allowed out together let alone housed together. His amorous intentions were more than she cared to put up with and she would beat the tar out of him if he got anywhere near her. She also wasn't above charging him from across the room just to try to get him to go away. They were as sweet as kittens with me, but they were like rabid wolverines with each other.

It may be wise to hold off on another bluey just incase they get into a fight and you need emergency vet care. With a tight budget one vet visit can really gouge you.

19. Bennett

Bennett Member

Wow, well thanks to everyone. I had thought that because mine was so docile with me, and I hadn't heard of other problems, that they must also be very tolerant with each other as well. I think I'll hold off right now at least, wait until I have more money saved (and it's not that I can't pay for her, it's just that's I have a lot to pay for as it is). And I know this isn't the correct place to ask but when feeding the occasional egg to a bluey how do you give it to them raw?

20. Moshpitrockchick

I always scrambled my blueys eggs in the microwave. I'd add collared greens and squash to it too, like an omelet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.