This Disappears When Logged In

Deflation!

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by yzfracer347, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yzfracer347

yzfracer347 Elite Member

Today i just noticed that my normally extremely healthy fat-tail has slight deflation in the tail!! I'm extremely concerned. Everything seems normal other than that, he's eating. :confused:

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Has he been more active lately or grown a bit? If weight loss is occuring and its not major just feed him a little extra and see if that helps him maintain his weight. If itd drastic weight loss maybe you should get a fecal done to check for parasites

3. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

or maybe it is a side effect of improper housing. If you have the set up appropriate for the leo you have in the same tank, it isn't humid enough for the AFT and it could be dehydrated.

4. Ollie

Ollie Elite Member

I think that the first girl has the right idea, because he's always been really healthy but i've noticed more growth in his body some lately. The leo and the fat tail have lived together for a long time, like 6-8 months now, so i don't think it is that, but i will keep my eye on it. i'll up his meals a little also thanks
    :)

5. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Oh wait, your leo and fat tail live together? Im sorry I didnt realize that.They have different housing requirements I believe AFTs require more humidity then leos and higher humidity can be dangerous for leos. So maybe they AFT is getting a little dehydrated...have you considered seperating them?

6. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

They do in fact require different setups. You really should seperate them. One is better adapted to sub-tropical and one to arid climates.

7. fire2225ems

And again, why are you posting under 2 different names?

**sorry just saw the answer in other post**

8. yzfracer347

yzfracer347 Elite Member

We understand that they need diffrent housing, We keep them in a very large tank half sand, half mulch.It seems like the only diffrence in the two is the humidity so we just spray the aft directly every day or so and put him away from the albino leopard(since there usually laying together). Just to explain how we handle the humidity.

9. fire2225ems

That is not nearly enough humidity for the aft. It is use to and NEEDS constant humidity.

10. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

They need to be in two different tanks. end of story.

11. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

I don't understand why after so many people telling you they need to be separated, you continue to say "well, they like each other". Reptiles are not social animals like dogs or cats. They would both be much healthier and happier in different enclosures. The most obvious reason for this is, they have completely different needs! Even geckos that have similar needs should not be housed together, but this is simply ridiculous.

12. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Then do it!

13. Ollie

Ollie Elite Member

Well, it was only temporary anyways, his tail has inflated to normal size again.

14. undrwears

undrwears Member

So you moved him to a different tank?

15. yzfracer347

yzfracer347 Elite Member

His tail went back to normal and then we split the tank and kept the very large water bowl on the fat tailed side along with some moss tucked away for a moist retreat. I dont believe the humidity was ever a problem because of our location in FL, and the large amout of water in this tank, we use a pie tray from publix filled with water and keep it under the light along with misting of the fat tailed individually and the mossy retreat. The tail only deflated for a few days and then quickly went back up so I think it was from him hiding away under his water dish for 2 or 3 days at a time.

16. fire2225ems

What size tank was it again?

17. yzfracer347

yzfracer347 Elite Member

I dont know the gallons but its about 4 ft long ,a foot and a half long and 2 feet deep

18. fire2225ems

You are going to have a tough time trying to keep appropriate temp. Gradients when you cut that in half. You guys really should seriously think about separating the two animals. If you are worried about space issues, you should be able to find a stand or build a stand so that one tank is above the other. (I would suggest the leo tank on bottom so that you don't have the humidity from the AFT going up to it.)

19. yzfracer347

yzfracer347 Elite Member

We had two lights already and they both require the same temps just different humidity. We'll eventually seperate them with ones of their kind though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.