This Disappears When Logged In

Definitely Not a Feeding Response!

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by Ptrkshine617, May 22, 2012.

1. Ptrkshine617

Ptrkshine617 Member

Okay, So i just Fed My 7 month old eastern king 2 fuzzies last night so this is not a feeding response. This mornin i had to scoop his poop out of his cage but right when i started scoopin it out he came lunging out of his hide and bit me. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS SNAKE!!? lol should i trade him for a new one???

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Something all snake keepers learn is that not all snakes will calm down and become "puppy dog tame".
    It's a crapshoot with anything you get. Some will become easily handled and some will not.

Theres a saying among us that there are two types of snake keepers.
    Those who have been bitten,...
    and those who will be!

That said my suggestion is that if you fear the bite, go get you a set of leather gardening gloves and just handle it.
    If you don't handle it it will never calm down.

3. Ptrkshine617

Ptrkshine617 Member

I hope so but the thing is i do handle him some times and hes fine and then other times its like he wants to kill me lol. Is it possible for a snake to be bi-polar?. could it be because is bought him at 6 months old vs. getting him as a hatchling?

4. Merlin

Since the snake was in its hide, its possible that you startled it.

If the snake had not been interacted with, prior to you getting it, it may be a little more goosey.
    But I have caught wild adult snakes as a boy and had no issue with eventually getting them to settle down. The key is to be relaxed around them and move slowly and deliberately. No jerky motions.
    And be consistant. Don't handle him one day and then go a week or two without doing anything but feed.
    And if he bites at you, do not immediately put him down. He needs to get the idea that biting will not deter you from handling him.

5. Ptrkshine617

Ptrkshine617 Member

I forgot to tell you this.......After he bit me he sneezed twice are they supposed to do that??? o_O

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, he was probably getting rid of the nasty smell of injured flesh (yours)... ;)
    I think it was a feeding response, especially if you always feed in the enclosure, and possible stress if you`ve only had him a month (nothing "wrong" with the snake, he`s acting perfectly naturally).

7. Ptrkshine617

Ptrkshine617 Member

I do not feed him in the same enclosure. I take him out and put him in a storage tote when i feed him. so its impossible for him to associate his enclosure with feeding. Also he just ate two fuzzies last night so how could it be a feeding response??

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

O.k, thanks for clarifying where you feed. But are you saying that the movement of your hand cannot trigger a feeding response, alternatively, a defensive reaction?
    I`m only offering suggestions in response to your first post, but if you want to exchange a wild animal because it bit you, I think you`ll be doing a lot of swapping!! ;)

9. Merlin

A feeding response would be to strike, bite and hold on, probably trying to throw a coil around.

Just a quick bite and release is more of a warn off.

10. Ptrkshine617

Ptrkshine617 Member

Okay thank you im sure i must have startled him, because he just bit and let go. Im thinkin hes probably just a viv defensice snake because he usually takes well to handling, but gets defensive when i reach in. Im going to continue to work with him i cant give him away xD. Plus an eastern king was way too hard to find in boston.

11. Merlin

If you have to reach in from above it may be unsettling to him since one of their predators would be hawks.
    Try coming into the tank away from him and then approaching from the side or the back.

12. Ptrkshine617

Ptrkshine617 Member

Yes i do have to reach in from above, and thanks ill have to try that. I have another question for you merlin ive decided to get a gray banded for my second snake. Im going to have to order online unfortunately........Im leaning towards general exotics.com but i was wondering what ur opinion was on the safest place to order my snake??

13. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

You have not even described your set up or husbandry techniques....
    Without that info there is no need to jump to any conclusions about the snake.....
    A king could irritable for many reasons....temps....humidity......traffic area.....bright light......in shed....hungry......

And two fuzzies is not always enough....btw...if it's been 4 days he wants to eat again.......

14. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

Sounds like a pretty normal animal response to me...

15. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Yep....these aren't trainable dogs and cats.......

16. Merlin

I have nevered ordered an animal online. I prefer to be able to pick it up and examine it personally.

And please do not use IM abbreviations in your post.