This Disappears When Logged In

Decisions, Decisions....

Discussion in 'Pituophis (Pines, Bulls, Gophers)' started by Ripkabird98, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Ripkabird98

Ripkabird98 Elite Member

OK

I have recently come to an opportunity to get one of my favorite snakes- one I've wanted for years.

An Albino Bullsnake!

BUT, I can't get another snake if i get this, and I have been wanting a Python...

The Bullsnake is 5 feet long, eats live with a vicious appetite, so he "should" switch easily.

He is $25 and I can get a setup, lights, hides and all for an extra $25

What do you all think?

2. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

a dream pet would be comparable to a dream job, the price is good. but are you willing to give up wanting a python for this snake? you have to weight the pros and cons for each snake. can you hold the snake/ will the snake be aggressive towards me? would i rather raise a snake from a baby or full grown? in the end only you can make the call.

3. Ripkabird98

Ripkabird98 Elite Member

the thing is, I've only wanted a python on for about a year. An albino bullsnake? 10 long years. Supposedly it is very tame, actually enjoy sitting on your lap while you watch TV. in the pictures he is looking through the glass in unconfusable curiosity. He looks like "Oh hai der! Canwa take pictas of meh?

4. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

lol. if it is an opportunity that dont come along very often i would jump on it.

5. Ripkabird98

Ripkabird98 Elite Member

Aargh! So hard!

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

To be honest I would be very leery of an adult bull snake that was descriped as "will just sit in your lap and watch TV."
    Bulls are more active than that.

7. Ripkabird98

Ripkabird98 Elite Member

Anyone else have any input?

8. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Ask to meet the snake, don't bring any money though lol! Just see how he is, hold him and hang out for a bit. If he seems limp, listless etc then run! If he seems healthy and is something you really enjoy then sleep on it.

So why can't you get both of them??? lol :)

9. Merlin

What kind of a setup? A 5 ft bullsnake is not full grown. They can hit close to 8 ft!

10. Ripkabird98

Ripkabird98 Elite Member

he never said. But he breed boas and pythons, so I am thinking he understands that it would need a larger size enclosure to be accommodating for a5 foot snake. if it's not large enough for an adult bull snake I can always just upgrade later. I just don't have an enclosure lying around that can accommodate a 5 foot snake right now.

what size enclosure is recommended for a full grown bull snake?

11. Merlin

I would go no less than a 55 gallon tank. But a 4ftx2ft footprint cage would be better. When I had mine it was all over the place!

12. Ripkabird98

Ripkabird98 Elite Member

Oh, wow. No problem. Expected a lot larger.

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

So an 8ft bulk snake can live in a 55gal aquarium?

14. Ripkabird98

Ripkabird98 Elite Member

Makes sense. General rule is length is half the snake.

15. cctbspencer

cctbspencer Elite Member

Yes. The first bullsnake that I ever caught was almost exactly 96" long and he thrived in an old 55 that I had at the time. Mean bugger! I was riding my bicycle through an abandoned lot when I heard a rat squealing. As I was parting the grass he met me half way with a well aimed strike while still constricting the rat! Ouch. Crap, I'm leaking. It took him several months to stop huffing, puffing, and hissing but he eventually settled in nicely.

I would go with the bullsnake, but I love them. I have a 4 foot female right now who is very active the first few minutes I handle her, but will settle into a coil on my lap and remain motionless. They are beautiful and powerful snakes.

16. Ripkabird98

Ripkabird98 Elite Member

This is kind of a hard decision. UUGGGHHHH

17. Ripkabird98

Ripkabird98 Elite Member

There are a few more specific people I'm looking for input from :-"

18. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I say if you want a bullsnake, get a baby. You don't want other peoples issues. I'm a fan of pythons though. They do have my 2 favorite subspecies in it. Retic and Burm. Good luck.

19. Ripkabird98

Ripkabird98 Elite Member

Yeah, see I thought about putting this one off for a Retic or Burm.

I volunteer at my local Fish and Wildlife rehab center, and LOVE their wild caught Bull. He just loves attention.

This doesn't seem like a problem one, and he is a good price. The guy offered to let me see him in his cage, so I can get an idea of his Temperament when he's not stressed from a car ride and everything.

20. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Up to you, I just prefer raising from babies myself.