This Disappears When Logged In

Day Gecko Vs Tokay Gecko?

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by Zlitni, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Zlitni

Zlitni Active Member

Hey... I'm a bit confused what I whould choose as a beginner of lizards. I have a pacmanfrog, but never have had lizards before... I have a 80x80x40 cm (HxLxW) terrarium, and I want two females... which one are best for the tank and as a beginner? the daygeckos or the tokaygeckos you think???

Thanks!

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Gong by your previous question, you want something you can handle. Day Geckos can not be handled. Their skin is fragile and tears easily.
    Tokays are a bit tougher but tend to be aggressive.

3. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

The Tokays that I have owned in the past were quite hardy but at the same time mean as ****. It gives them a bit of personality though and either option you choose is really not for holding.

4. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

I would say neither is recommended for a beginner. They're both a bit higher maintenance, plus generally, both are display geckos only due to their fragile skin or aggressiveness, as Merlin mentioned.

Have you looked into crested geckos? A crestie would go well in the size of enclosure you have, plus can be handled and is a much better beginner gecko.

5. Zlitni

Zlitni Active Member

@ Merlin - AdamL8 - cassicat4

Well, can you then come up with a bid of wich gecko-type there's best for the 80x80x40, and which who's best for beginners? I really don't want leopard, because it would be sooooo waste of the 80cm highness...
    Another question: If it's "impossible" to take up geckos there's not leopardgeckos, which one - the daygecko or the tokay gecko- would then be best as a beginner, even if there not easy to handle?

- by the way, I live in a very small country... DENMARK... I don't have that much choices, though I could get fat-tailed gecko and cavegeckos too, but don't remember any moore types in this little country than leopard-, cave-, fattailed-, day-, tokay-geckos :-} (cave-geckos are not easy to find, by the way, they're rare)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  6. cassicat4

Well how about this...what are you looking for specifically in a reptile? Arboreal or terrestrial? Arid or humid? Display animal or handleable? How much time do you have to devote to its care in a day?

What do you have for pet stores where you live?

I unfortunately don't know what you have available for reptiles (as pets) in your country, so I can only suggest what I know for what's available here.

If you have crested geckos, that would be my first suggestion. They can also be housed in female pairs. Second would be gargoyle geckos, however, housing them together can be tricky because they are a more aggressive gecko species than cresties. Both of these are great for beginners and usually fairly handleable.

Out of Tokays and Days, if you want a female pair, I would suggest Day geckos as they usually get along fine, whereas there is a risk of Tokays fighting because they are a more aggressive species. However, Tokays are a hardier species in terms of handling and husbandry, whereas Days, as mentioned, have delicate skin and should not be handled at all and are sensitive to improper temps/humidity. And if either of these are not readily available as CB in your area, you then have to contend with the risk of parasites and other ailments and knowing what to look for in an animal that is difficult to handle and therefore physically inspect. They both also have high humidity and heat requirements and specific dietary needs. These are all reasons amongst others why they are not considered beginner reptiles. If you've never had experience with a lizard before, I don't recommend starting out with either of these.

Fat tails are much like leopards, but generally are a bit more docile and have higher humidity requirements. Cave geckos would do well in an enclosure of that size, but yes, they're even rare where I live, plus they are a sensitive species and also not the greatest for handling due to the fact that they are shy and stress easily.

Have you checked Craigslist (or an equivalent) for your area? This can give you a better idea of what you actually have available for purchase as well. It will likely be easier for us to provide feedback based on what is feasible for you, rather than suggesting reptiles for you to try and seek out yourself without knowing if it's even an option.

7. Zlitni

Zlitni Active Member

Well actually I don't care about the question about arid or humid that much... terrestrial I prefer... Handleable too (but not so important, only a bit)... the time I have every day doesen't really matter here, because I would actually have it easy, easy, easy as possible (have something in my life, my psyche (can't tell here)............... that's not making me very fresh every day), but I would never let them down/fail them...

Well okay, now I'm scared away from those :D

- The fat-tailed gecko dosen't climb that much, don't they? I mean, they won't use all the space, right?

Haven't been in the petstore for a while, but actually I remember now that they have Rhacodactylus ciliatus (crested geckos)... they are not that sensitive, or what? - I'm gonna check out caresheet for crested geckos now

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  8. cassicat4

Ok, that's fine...the only reason I asked about time is because some reptile species require daily feeding/water maintenance/misting/etc. and are considered a bit more high maintenance than, say, a leopard gecko, in which adults can be fed every 2 or 3 days and their water topped up/changed as necessary.

Haha, well it wasn't designed to scare you, but to make you aware of what you're in for. It's very overwhelming for anyone to be presented with a species without knowing the full extent of its care/requirements and then have to manage it, if you are unprepared to do so. As well, with a first lizard, I think you would enjoy an easier and handleable lizard which will enable you to bond with it better and allow you to enjoy having a lizard to begin with. It's a bit harder to do with a more display-type animal.

Yes, a fat tail wouldn't use the space much, unless you were to incorporate ledges of some sort. There are some excellent DIY enclosures for leos and fat tails where owners have used vertical enclosures and incorporated ledges and ramps to allow them to utilize the space, so this is an option if you'd prefer that route.

As hatchlings, crested geckos are sensitive to improper husbandry, but as juveniles/sub-adults/adults they are quite hardy. Depending on your home temperatures, they don't require any special heating. They have high humidity requirements, but this can be managed easily if you are home in the mornings and evenings. They can also be fully sustained on a Crested Gecko Diet (i.e. Repashy) which makes them low maintenance feeders (although they do benefit from occasional insects). The vast majority are very handleable, which makes them a fun pet. They also come in a large variety of morphs which adds to their uniqueness. Do give the caresheet a read and see if this is something that would interest you. Of all the reptiles I own and have owned, Cresties are definitely one of my favorites.

9. Zlitni

Zlitni Active Member

Oh my god! The caresheet-guides about crested geckos are more easy than for my pacmanfrog! And I thought that every type of lizard were more "advanced" to handle than my pacman... ;)

10. Zlitni

Zlitni Active Member

I have only two questions for now on that: you say that they need high humidity, but that is about 60-70%, right? Because - in my eyes - that's not very much, but that's maybe because I'm housing a frog that needs that. I've only looked at caresheets for frogs mostly, and some of them - for example tomatofrogs - are "crazy" when it comes to humidity (they need about 90%). But I think you mean a high humidity as compared to other types of lizards, am I right? - If crested geckos needs 60-70% then there's no problem. I'm "hard-on" with humidity because of my frog, so that wouldn't be a prob, if so ;)
    The other question: >crested diet?< Now I have been seing this name in some caresheets, and even a danish dude on a random forum (I googled), said that he needs to get some of that, but he and other guys says that they have to buy it from USA, what the **** - I'm looking on a danish website right now where they have a lot of crested diet, so I'm very confused now... by the way, what's up for the crested diet? what is it?
    And actually I have a third question now: What do they eat? Is it true that they need both fruit, "baby food" and insects? :) It's because I've seen different opinions on that...

11. Zlitni

Zlitni Active Member

By the way... my terrarium are "tropical" look-alike... But are NOT finished yet!
    What do you think for two crested geckos?

DSC_0050.jpg

12. cassicat4

Yes, that's what I meant, that in comparison to other lizards, they need high humidity. ;) Understandably you would be used to this having a frog. A misting in the morning and a heavier misting in the evening is usually sufficient to provide the geckos with the humidity they require.

Crested Gecko Diet is a complete and balanced diet for these geckos that incorporates all of the nutrition, vitamins, and minerals they require. The link you provided for Repashy Crested Diet V3 is exactly what they eat, and is what the vast majority of us over here offer ours.

Crested geckos eat the Repashy CGD as well as insects such as crickets, hoppers, dubias, silkworms, phoenix worms, and as a treat, waxworms if you so choose. Some also opt to feed theirs mealworms, although I tend to avoid them just because their higher chitin (exoskeleton) value can make them harder to digest properly.

You should never feed them baby food, as it's not very nutritious, is high in sugars, and they can become addicted to it to the point of rejecting their healthy foods. Just Repashy and the occasional gutloaded, dusted insects is all they require. If you have an issue with insects, they can be sustained solely on Repashy, but I find it satiates their hunting instinct as well as adds variety to the diet to offer insects too.

13. cassicat4

Yes, the size of the enclosure is sufficient for two female crested geckos. Once your terrarium is finished, feel free to post pics then as well, and we can provide feedback on that too. :)

14. Zlitni

Zlitni Active Member

Okay, I really don't know what 'Repashy' (and Repashy CGD?) is? Don't know the word...

I would never give 'em mealworms... My frog can't take 'em too... never gonna touch that

Thanks! Good info! ;)

Have nothing with insects, except crickets... use living insects for my pacman... :) - but I would know something about their hunt, because often I have to take the grasshoppers again and again in front of my pacman, because he's often miss. That's so irritating, but what about crested geckos? they can hunt 'em down, right?

And now for a new question: I've seen in the caresheets that crested geckos can go with african giant millipede (Archispirostreptus gigas)... is that true? Because actually, that's funny if so... I would like to have a giant millipede, but did never buyed one, because I only have space for two terrariums. But if they can go together, then I would try! But I'm afraid of that the millipede's toxin could maybe be dangerous for the crested geckos????

15. Zlitni

Zlitni Active Member

I'm sure it's gonna be very fine... you can just look at my pacman-tank :-" it's not very "poor", if you know what I mean? ;) But of course I will post it!

16. cassicat4

The link you provided? The products showing on that page are all Repashy Superfoods products, as you can see by the name. That's just the brand of the diet. CGD stands for crested gecko diet, which is what they eat. Any of the top 4 products (with a crested gecko on the package) showing on your link are suitable for crested geckos.

Yes, crested geckos can hunt down crickets. If you house your gecko on a natural or particulate substrate (e.g. coco fiber, soil, moss, etc.) it's suggested that you feed your gecko either in a separate container, or offer the crickets in separate container in the enclosure itself. This is to prevent the risk of impaction as these geckos can be clumsy hunters and wind up with a mouthful of substrate. If you house your geckos on paper towel (which is recommended for young geckos and new acquisitions of any age) you can allow the crickets to free-roam during feeding time. Always remove uneaten crickets after your gecko is done eating though because they can munch on your gecko instead.

While I have no experience myself with the millipedes, I have read and heard from numerous sources that they can be housed together. Just ensure you have deep enough substrate (so they can burrow) and include extra food sources for the millipedes as they like to eat, and will often eat the Repashy CGD as well (people often include live plants for them to munch on too). Your tank is large enough that your geckos likely won't even notice the millipede.

17. cassicat4

Your Pacman tank looks great! :) How old is your frog?

18. Zlitni

Zlitni Active Member

Doh! Didn't see the name (unless Crested Gecko)... Ding Dong in my head :D

First I buyed for the anoles, so the substrate I have in the tank are a mix-up of natural humus and pine bark - is that okay?

Then it looks like I can get an millipede before the geckos... they don't need the same standard os decorations, and the decorations are gonna cost me the next months... :)

19. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Watch your language!
    Just because you play games with the way you type the word it isn't going to cut it. This is a family oriented site.

20. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

For decorations you should use wood you find outside. It costs less than driftwood that is store bought. You need to bake it though.