This Disappears When Logged In

Day Gecko Problem..

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by matthewgroskopf, Mar 20, 2018.

1. matthewgroskopf

matthewgroskopf Active Member

Is 20 okay? Because thats what the closets carries a 25 tropical.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

What is "20"?

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  4. matthewgroskopf

heres what i picked up,
    Zilla Slimline Tropical 25 UVB T8 Fluorescent Fixture

5. matthewgroskopf

Lets talk more, is the heat bulb for day and night correct? I'm going to walmart to get some wrap for the humidity problem, where should I position the tube?

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think you misunderstood, the tube should be either 2-0 or 2-5 that means 2 or 2.5% UVB, not "20" or "25", personally I would have gone for at least a 5-0 (5 %). The tube will cover around 2/3rds the enclosure length so allow space for the animal to retreat from the UVB (place it closer to one side). The screen will block some of the UVB.
    If the nighttime ambient (air) temp falls below approx. 72f you might need to use supplementary heating (a ceramic heat emitter) otherwise no extra heat will be necessary during the night (just the daytime). What are the lowest room temps at night? I need to log out it`s late over here, but keep asking questions!

7. matthewgroskopf

Are you saying the slimeline that I bought isn't correct? I can always take it back, but It is deff covering more than the compact bulb did and the manager working there who bred the day geckos there used the lamp and recommended it.

Which side should I place it?

The temps usually drop to alteast 69 which is the lowest when my wife gets home and instantly turns the cool air on, but usually throughout the night I turn it off and it stays about 76. I also provide him with 'night vision' heat bulb, I was using a mini halogen dome but that blew out from a thunderstorm we had recently.. We live in florida so winter isn't really a thing here, besides cold fronts coming in.

But really, I provide him with a constant heat source just incase.

Lowest room temps are 69 at night.

8. matthewgroskopf

hello there, are you ok?

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, can you link me to the tube and batten (the tube housing) because I`m still a bit confused as to what you`ve bought and also put a photo up of the tube in place?
    Have you covered the screen yet?

10. matthewgroskopf

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`m around 5 or 6 hours ahead of you in time so it`s often getting too late for me to respond.
    I`ve never used the Zilla brand but from what others have said they are not particularly good quality, bearing that in mind the housing batten itself and the size is o.k, it`s the effectiveness of the UVB it produces that may or may not be sufficient?
    The better brands are Arcadia and Zoo-Med among others.
    Covering the screen is equally as important as the UVB, allowing you to better control the temps and humidity...

12. matthewgroskopf

Sorry about that.
    Yeah I used a custom tin foil cover that I made with wire and mesh, leaving squares for heat lamp, fogger and UVB.

He still hasn't touched any prey items I offer him but he was pooping a week after we got him.
    I actually just introduced night crawlers and isopods into the soil about 3 hours ago.

And again, he has a constant source of repashy which I swap out when I do my cresties.

He still hasn't come out of hiding but he does regulate his temps on the back of the tank..
    Which is concerning for me since most day gecko videos show them up and about basking in the UVB or heating lamp.. he just sorta clings to the back glass panel.

13. matthewgroskopf

He did shed a few days after we got him completely, but his arm has stuck shed on it.

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Can you take a photo of the whole top showing the lighting/heating bulbs/tube and how much of the screen is covered, also what`s the basking surface temp?
    The stuck shed is possibly due to a lack of humidity, it`s also worth mentioning that during the shed process they may stop eating.
    The screen will also block some of the UVB and heat.
    Are you using a 50w "basking" bulb during the day and a 75w at night?

15. matthewgroskopf

That would make sense as to why he's not eating, but i'm not sure about the lack of humidity since its covered and I have a fogger run for about 30-40 mins in the morning and at night. I can spray him if I need to.

Heres the DIY screencover I was working on yesterday.

20180326_145759.jpg

Yes, I'm using a day (white) basking spot that is 50w and a night (blue) light that is 75.

Left is the night dome I use, and the right is the day dome that is currently on, I swap them out at before bed and when I wake up in the morning.

JPEG_20180326_151254.jpg

The top basking spot in the far top closest to the bulb is easily 110f throughout the day, the bamboo sticks range from 80-99f

I'm thinking about downgrading to 25w, I don't like the thought of my gecko roasting.

The reason the UVB fixture is placed on the front side of the terrarium is that it gets more light than if it were placed on the back facing front.

I'm using bambo sticks to create gradients and climbing furniture,
    Fluker's Bamboo Bars for Reptiles, 2 count - Chewy.com

Heres the basking spot furniture i'm using.
    All Living Things® Climbing Branch Terrarium Ornament | reptile Habitat Décor | PetSmart

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Why do you need a 75w bulb during the night and only 50w through the day?
    Edit: You don`t need to spend all that money on a "basking" branch, a "real" one would work just as well!
    You basically need to know two temps; the lowest ambient @ 75f or slightly higher in the coolest part of the enclosure (probably low down) then the surface temp of the basking object @ approx. 95f.
    I think that the UVB will be blocked to quite a large degree by the screen. A more effective way would be to make a solid top (sealed plywood/similar) so that the screen isn`t needed and the UVB tube would work more effectively (so would the heat bulb).

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Ran out of time; make the sold top exactly as you`ve made the foil with close fitting holes for the heat/lighting.

18. matthewgroskopf

That will be a project for another day, but yeah. Do you think that the wattage(= output) is too high?
    And I already spent the money, I'm ex military so money isn't an issue, the basking spot is easily 95+

I bought a higher wattage at night since my wife likes to blast the air on cold but seems like it was over kill for both wattages.

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think that now the top`s covered the temps and humidity will stabilise, keep a close check on them, overheating is as dangerous as underheating the enclosure.

20. matthewgroskopf

Just bought 25w ill keep you posted, we should archive this so anyone whos doing what im doing will have step by step